Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turbine and Compressor maps, where to find it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKengine

Automotive
Jan 14, 2003
BA
Is there any online resource or database of turbines and compressor maps. Especialy I am interested in KKK and HOLSET manufectors.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The only manufacturer that seems to publish their maps is garret. The others sometimes give you a glitzy picture with no real information (a curve on a graph with no labels , but lots of pretty colors). You might have some luck emailing the manufacturers themselves, but other than that you're probably going to have a hard time.

-=Whittey=-

Thanks!

I did not know that situation is so bad!

If somebody hase in the catalogue "Holset H2D93 5 1 N/S28.B11" turbokompressor maps please scan it and send it on my mail zoransa@yahoo.com

I will buy you a beer.

Is there even a map for the turbine wheels? I've found many maps for Garrett and MHI turbos, but never any information on the turbine wheels, besides diameters. Is there a simple way like a compressor map to describe the performance of the turbine? Is there any source for those that anyone is aware of? (besides asking garrett/mhi)

TKengine:

generally, turbo manufacturers don't divulge that info (except to OEM's). I've never seen turbine maps- only compressor maps. The turbos are generally defined by a basic model no. and trim no. The trim generally defines things like compressor geometry and diffuser geometry.

here's Holset's UK website, it gives basic compressor mass flow numbers for their current product line. I don't know if that will help you or not.

Regards,
Terry

I know the way the turbines are defined with trim numbers, i was just hoping there were some quantitative numbers for flow and pressure like the compressors. It would make turbine selection easier. I can pick the right compressor, but turbine selection is more of a "this works in this car, so this should work in that car" kind of game.

Turbine selection isn't as critical as compressors which is why you won't find many. They are efficient over a much broader range than a compressor.

There are lots of compressor maps at the "Turbonetics" web site, all for Garrett turbos, I think. Don't know if those are of interest, but they are available.

The turbonetics site is great for maps.

This site is an upgrade guide for the 3000GT twin turbo, and has compressor maps for a lot of Mitsubishi (MHI) turbos.

I like the ray hall site, they got some good online calcs The turbomap one is good, you can map points by specific engine, rpm, and boost levels on a selection of garret compressor maps. What I really wanna find is cross refrence on old garret diesel turbos in all the junkyards for $20 in primo conidition compared to the same turbo dif model number new aftermarket ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back