Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turbine Burner Alloy? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

KatyDave

Electrical
May 1, 2005
US
I am intrested in making a burner for turbine. Is there an alloy that has a higher intermittent operating temperature tha 310 stainless?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What kind of burner and for what type of turbine? Are you are referring to a burner that is used on small industrial turbines to generate electricity? Proper selection of the burner material depends on fuel and operating conditions. For the more advanced combustion turbine (CT) applications, Haynes International and Rolled Alloys provide a range of heat resistant (HR) alloys for components. Your alloy selection will depend on combustion turbine design and fuel;

Thanks for the info! I just discovered "eng-tips" and it is great, I am sure it will save lots of research time. I am a home build aviator interested in building a small turboprop engine (~ 50 kW). The fuel will be jet fuel/diesel and I plan on modulating the air flow to a maximum temperature. I see the HAYNES 230 alloy has an operating temperature to 1200C, I can't find info on the 330 & 353MA. 1200C should be good however, thanks....

Hastelloy X is the old standby, it should handle 1125-1150C. 230 is a step up from there and 214 is the top of the heap. The trick with burners is that they are not operating at the flame temp, they are actually cooled by the fuel.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Corrosion never sleeps, but it can be managed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back