Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

turbine ms 5001

Status
Not open for further replies.

amper

Electrical
Oct 3, 2008
GB
dera gent

have anybody know about a not OEM with good reputation dealing with spare for this old GE turbines ?

ill appreciate any commnets

regards

amper

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi amper,

There is not much information about what you really want. What kind of turbine do you have. What vintage or year? What type of unit condensing, extraction. What kind of spares are you looking for.

The title of the thread states the turbine type. It is a Frame 5 gas turbine.

Amper, Do you have Google? If so google the words "Frame 5 parts". I got more hits than I can copy and paste into here.

Then I googled Frame 5 repairs and got some good hits.

I found some good links here:

That should give you some good reading.

There are tons of old Frame 5's laying all around Venezuela. Is there anyone there scavenging them for the parts?

rmw

There is a company that helps to rebuild Gas Turbines and provide parts for them. It is ProEnergy Services out of Sedalia, MO. They also done quite a bit of work in Venezuela. I know they have done GE LM6000, LM2500, Frame 7000, Frame 5000. There are many models and years of GE Gas Turbines I even use to work for them many years ago on the Speedtronics based control systems.

Thanks Electrageek. I tried to think of their name but couldn't pull it up. I could remember the owners name, but that wasn't too much good.

As an aside, I worked on Speedtronics when it was Mark I. Right after that, dirt was invented.

Some of the older Frame 5's I have seen in Venezuela might just well be (or have been) Speedtonics.

rmw

rmw

Actually I think you mean you worked on a Mark I Speedtronics just after dirt was invented (haha). I worked on the Mark I and II so many years ago in Salem Ronoake, VA.

We're retiring a 1974 vintage Mark II right now. I work in a museum. Well, it feels like one sometimes. [smile]

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

last night i watch a program about voyager is on space more than 20 year made on the 80 --10 billions miles from earth --itis still work flowless but look new generation american shuttle problems every time i think old equipment look age but some work beautiful apart of emision of corse

thanks for the tips

Hi rmw,

Would that be Jeff Canon. I believe he is the President and CEO of ProEnergy Services.

ScottyUK,

1974 was the year I was working in Salem designing and building Mark II Speedtronics panels. Amazing the stuff is still around.

Geek,

I remembered his name. I just wasn't going to put it out there although I would bet that trip to their website would reveal it easily enough. I had a brain freeze on the name of his company although I could see their new place in MO plain as day in my mind. Last time I was there they were talking about building a pit. I don't hear from them these days due to other circumstances.

Scotty, I thought you were out of the Power Generation business. Did you go back (to your first love)?

Amper, google "Power Gen 2010" and find the website for last year's meeting and look through the exhibitor list. I think you will find many companyies that can help you. Buena suerte. Keep the lights on. My yerno is in Venezuela right now.

rmw

electrageek,

I was starting school. [smile]

The old panels were built to a better standard - the layout of the modern ones appears to be designed on the shop floor, which is why all three are totally different internally even though they are functionally equivalent. Not impressed by GE's industrial operation, not at all.

rmw,

Yeah, out of power for now, but will likely go back one day. I went over to the dark side (oil & gas) because it was local work - I'm happy, but I miss the big machines, especially the smell of hot oil and steam. The Speedtronics are on turbine-driven gas compressors, roughly the size of an HP BFW drive in a proper power station.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Scotty,

That makes sense then. And, yes, starting out on the "big machines" ruined me for the rest of my life for wanting to work on anything small ever again. If it doesn't take a slugging wrench (sorry - flogging spanner to you) to tighten it, it is just too small to mess with.

But, part of my early training and experience was on Gas Turbine driven gas compressors on pipelines and offshore platforms, so I lurked in that world too.

Some were the size of the title of the OP although most Frame 5's (and Frame 3's) used in compression were 2 shaft machines. I guess this paragraph makes this post OT.

As I understand it, Frame 5's are now produced by GE Oil & Gas out of Italy even if they are purely power generation machines. I don't think Frame 3's are manufactured any more but can't state that as a fact.

rmw

I recently left a facility that retired 3 1940's model GE 10MW units with Lynn standards. Great old units. Bullet proof and very dependable. The plant went on line in 48 and we shut her down in October of 2010.

I have not seen a frame 3 in years and agree I do not think they are made anymore. If I remember correctly the first Frame 3's were built in 49 or something like that. (read that someplace, I am not that old hehe)

I also am of the opinion that if you do not need a slugger, Hytorc and 40 ton overhead, then its not fun to work on. :)

Spud says; Meticulous effort and willingness to learn are honorable traits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back