Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Turbo rotational speed sensor/meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhumble

Automotive
Feb 6, 2003
AU
Does anyone know of a sensor that would be adaptable to or is designed for measuring the rotational speed of a turbo? Any help/suggestions are highly appreciated. as for the motives, for the application I have in mind, a boost guage is just not good enough.

Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hmmmm, another suggestion I could make is a proximity sensor near the blades on the inlet side of the compressor. Such things are being used on speedo sensors over output shaft gears instead of driven hall-effect sensors.These things seems to be capable of 1300 pulses per minute or better.
Alternatively, maybe an inductive sensor such as is used on ring-gear teeth on flywheels for tachometers. That ought to go close to the frequency, if not maybe a vane/reluctor secured to the compressor shaft

I think the cheapest and best would be using brushless DC
motors with back_EMF_sensor. Electronics is cheap in quantity !!!

<nbucska@pcperipherals.com>

MTU monitor the speed of the primary turbo on their 2000 series engines with MDEC controls. They switch the secondary turbo on at about 90,000rpm and set an alarm at about 105,000rpm.
The turbo has an extended magnetic nut holding the inlet turbine wheel on, and an inductive speed sensor pressed against the rubber pipe that connects the turbo to the intercooler tubing. This sensor is basically the same as the wheel sensors used in Bosch ABS systems.
Any modifications will need to be done by someone that can rebalance the turbo.

Good luck,
B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back