Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

turn around dimensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvg

Civil/Environmental
Dec 16, 1999
US
I am designing a small site access road down the face of a dam which will require a turn around area at the end near the spillway. Traffic will consist of occasional pickup truck or commercial truck up to about about 2 tons, backhoe, loader, bobcat and potentially a small dump truck. The trucks will need to turn around to avoid backing back up this 10% or 15% grade. 3-point turns are expected. What would be minimum size necessary?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

yOU MAY WANT TO GET A COPY OF THE COMPUTER PROGRAM AUTOTURN. Or, you can do the old fashioned paper model method.

Good luck

I've seen criteria for detention pond turn-arounds that should be applicable; it's geared for dump trucks I believe.
Outside turning radius minimum of 40 ft, road widths 15ft on curves and 12ft on straight sections.

I've seen hammer-head turnarounds used with a 25-ft min inside radium, and the length of each "head" of the hammer being about 20-25 ft.

Hope this helps

A cul de sac would be preferred if there is any chance that a turning vehicle would have a trailer.

------------------------------------------
"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys typing on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING like Shakespeare.

- Blair Houghton

I'm able to fit a hammerhead which is about 40'wide by 50' long and unable to make it any wider. It sounds like this will probably work. Trailers will have to be unhitched and left at the top of the dam.

If you are too cheap to get AutoTURN (like I am) and want to support the Free Software concept, you could try my TURN.LSP to trace turning paths on weaving sites. It has had a lot of interest and one lone donation in the past few years. It is at under Free Software, or just look for free turning paths at Google.

Of course I could always use additional participation to add features, but it is usable as is.

Tom Haws

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back