Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turning layers on and off from imported dwg file

Status
Not open for further replies.

amlsna

Industrial
Oct 24, 2005
US
Greetings,
I have been asked by the plant manager who just found out that he must switch from ACAD to SE and has all the plant layout drawings in ACAD. I now that I can open the dwg file and see that line colors and dimensions were maintained, but how do I twick layer controls like turning on and off or changing layer colors. I am just trying to help him out until he gets to go to formal training.
Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

Click Edgebar in the menu 'tools'. Then click on the tab 'layer'.

You can create new layers, hide/show them by Right-mouse click on one. Also, make them active with dble-click.

There is no layer color control since layers can contain various colors in SE.

Fred

amlsna,
You may find that all of the converted drawing is contained in a single drawing view which is scaled to fit your drawing sheet.
If so, double-click the view to start drawing in it, or RMB then 'Draw in View'.
You will have to do this if you want to manipulate any of the lines etc in the view.

bc.

Thanks to both, I have gotten everything I need for working with the dwg files.
Also, FYI, you can change the colors of each layer by using the Smart Select button, once a layer is active only in the "2D Model", and then selecting the parts / features /etc., and then choosing color, so that all items on that layer can be changed.
Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back