Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Turning Radius for Garbage Truck 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KThomson

Civil/Environmental
Oct 16, 2002
US
Hello-

I have been searching the internet for info on garbage trucks- I am using Auto-turn to check a tight area on a site plan, and want to make sure garbage trucks will have adequate room.

So - I guess first question is - for a garbage truck is the best option to use AASHTO's single unit truck?? (I know that will NOT fit on our plan, but we have NO other options to create more room!)

If not, in order to create a custom vehicle, I need dimensions - does anyone have some for me?? I have been searching for specs from manufacturers online, but have not found anything.

I'd appreciate any help you can give. Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most garbage trucks are going to be in the 200 to 240 inch wheelbase range with GVW of 40 to 60 thousand pounds. About a 30 to 40-foot turning radius would be reasonable for this size chassis.

You can call the company/agency that does the garbage pick up. They may provide you with with wheel base information and required turning turning radius. Most are willing to give out this information for it makes things a lot easier for thier drivers.

Another thing to watch out for, as it affects movement of garbage truck on site, is whether the trash company uses front or rear loading vehicles. This can limit the location of refuse bins, especially in a site with limited movements for trucks.

What did you find for a turning radius?

I am designing the turn around loop for our new house and must accommindate an long truck pulling an RV.

Have you considered creating space for a "Y" turn. More like a "T" space to drive into and then have a space to back into and then turn back the way you came. We must use this type of turnaround both for our semi and RV's at our business.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back