Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Turning Thin Walled Stainless Steel 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechj

Mechanical
Apr 25, 2005
US
I have a problem and am not sure what to do. I have a part and it is to be made from stainless steel round bar stock. The wall thickness that is called out is .030" and the length is 1.00". The id tolerance is +/- .001. Any ideas on how this can be machined without crushing the part? The part is not a tube, one end is a thin walled tube the other is a solid end with a small drill hole. I was thinking maybe finishing the id and centerless grinding the od down to size, but I think this will crush the part also. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

jdm

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." Albert Einstein

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Turn the ID and then fit a removeable plug in it before turning the OD. You can epoxy the plug in if required and remove it by heating. It has worked for me.

Timelord

Timelord is right. It will work and best for small quantities. Another solution is using hydrolic expanding chuck or collet for inner diameters. You can find such companents in Röhm, Schunk, Hainbuch and Emuge. These products are good for serial productions less load unload time.

Second solution for serial production is using Swiss type lathe (if the outer diameter is less than 17mm. because I remember that you can clamp max Ø17mm for this type of machine such as citizen cincom)

But first of all please try the traditional way. It seems like the wall thichness and length is ok for a tolerance of ±0.001" on od. Please try between centers or chuck-center methots.

Use a barfeed machine and machine the end with the flat bottom bore and turn the O.D. and part the thing off. If the part off finish is not acceptable do a secondary operation for facing the end. You can experiment with the necessary speeds and feeds and process to not have the thin walled section come out per print.

Thanks for your replies. I think on the first run I am going to try and use a plug. My only concern is the operator having difficulties taking it in and out of each part (400 pcs). I would consider a mandrel type set up, but I am not sure if this would be most cost effective.

Regards,

jdm

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." Albert Einstein

Here is an idea from a a crude ol'farmer machinist. Get a boat plug (rubber plug with a wing nut and washer) Put it into your finished bore and lightly snug the wing nut, then when you are done, removal is much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back