Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Twin Scroll Exhaust Manifold Pairing??? Papadakis Turbo exhaust???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ordengineering

Automotive
Nov 17, 2008
Twin Scroll Exhaust Manifold Pairing??? Papadakis exhaust strange..

with our 4 cylinder firing order 1-4-3-2, the best pairing for twin scroll manifold was 4-1 and 2-3, then dumped out in the turbine divided inlet housing.

But, i saw a stephan papadakis exhaust pict (dont remember what chassis on it, but its yellow honda), they do 1-2 pair and 3-4 pair, then using two long runner before attached to the turbine divided inlet housing, just like long sequential 421 header in All motor.

is there something "new tehc" on stephan papadakis exhaust?
from what i know, we should pair the exhaust runner from the most far firing order, thats why 1 paired with 4, and then 2 paired with 3.. so the exhaust pressure from cylinder wouldnt effecting much back pressure to the other cylinder in the next firing order cycle...

i plan to build a twin scroll exhaust for my BWS366xl 2.3 motor....
please gimme enlightment..

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Was the yellow Honda a drag car or drift car? I recall his drag civic to be yellow and his drift s2000 red, so I'm going to assume the stup u saw was on his drag civic.

Pairing 1 to 4, and 2 to 3 will decrease turbo spool time (incrasing throttle response). Drag cars do not need throttle response... especially FWD ones.

thanks god, there still an sporcompact guy in here :D

btw, im sorry in the 1st statement i mean 1342 firing order for most of our motor.

about papadakis
it was the yellow civic
btw what do you mean that pairing 1-1 and 2-3 decrease spool time?? IMHO isnt that pairing to make a sequence of firing order as far as posible? and that was known to make the turbine more faster to spooled up.

there is a quote i heard from a book about 1&4 and 2&3 pairing (forgot what it is) :
"if cylinder 1 and 4 are fed into one side of the exhaust housing scroll and 2 & 3 are fed into the other , The distinct separation of exhaust pulse drastically improve turbine efficiency, reducing lag significantly. Volumetric eveciency is also improved by reducing Cross-cylinder reversion with a divided housing, it is almost impossible for an exhaust pulse to travel throug the turbine and back up to an adjacent cylinder"

"the cylinder fed into each side of the scroll are as far appart in the firing order as possible. this allows the turbine to be hit with four distinct pulses as the engine goes through its firin order, so does is the reversion from adjacent cylinders much more difficult to built. this is because there is a gread deal of separation in degress of cran rotation between the valve opening events of the adjacent cylinders."

yes indeed it was a drag car, it doesnt need spool time..
but how about statement from the quote : "Volumetric eveciency is also improved by reducing Cross-cylinder reversion with a divided housing, it is almost impossible for an exhaust pulse to travel throug the turbine and back up to an adjacent cylinder"

so those papadakis 1-2 and 3-4 pair wasnt good ennough for Volumetric efficiency if compared with the 1-4 and 2-3 pair.??

please share, since me in building my exhaust manifold for divided turbo s366xl, but i got limited by engine hood space, so i couldnt do 1-4 and 2-3 pair, the best pair i could do is that sequential 1-2 and 2-4 pair just like papadakis manifold

thanks silverbullet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back