Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Twincharging SC>Turbo or Turbo>SC? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max965

Automotive
Dec 19, 2006
FR
For those who are 'pro' twincharging I am interested in discussing the technicals of the combined Supercharger and turbo used in series.
The 3 states are 1) Supercharger by itself (low revs), 2) turbo by itself (high revs) and 3) the change over point.

Will there be any difference between an SC blowing into a Turbo vs the other way?

My view is that its more effcient to have SC>Turbo. Why? If a SC is 50% efficent and a Turbo is 70% (or just more than the SC) as the turbo begins to spoil to catch up with the SC, it needs less CFM than the SC needs for the SAME boost pressure, so the SC can provide the turbo with the air (as its trying to blow more) no problem, infact it will supply the turbo with more air than needed and so you will achieve a compound effect or boost pressure inbetween the SC and Turbo.

With Turbo>SC I would of thought the turbo cannot start boosting until it spins and sucks in more CFM than the SC needs so there will be no compound effect.

Clearly after these CFM points the turbo starts to need more air and the change over begins. But I am interesting in the point where the turbo starts to catch up.

What are the thoughts on this or I am way off?

Max

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back