Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two Easy Fusible Link Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveward

Automotive
Feb 8, 2004
SG
I searched for "fusible link" and got no results...so here are my questions.

After luckily averting an alternator-short-circuit fire (my wife's Mercedes 1982 380SL)...I have been rewiring the charging and starting circuits. In my case I am using new 0 gauge cable. My question is, would it be advisable to add fusible links into the alternator and/or starter circuits to ensure I avoid any future maladies.

If yes, here is a follow-up question...just so I understand the logic of using 0 gauge 'cause it carries so much current and along with a tiny little link that doesn't in the same circuit:

Assume I am using an Optima 1000 CCA battery...is there a fusible link that will know when the current flowing through it is OK and when it's bad? I'm not quite sure how this would work in practice. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Where did you "search"? Even if you misspell it there is lots of stuff. You might try fusable instead. Lots of information.

Fusable links are almost never put in the starter wire, and not real popular in the charge wire. Part of this is because they are high amp items and part is because the wires are relatively short and controllable.

Out guaging a fusible link makes sense only to avoid current loss down the line, and no sense for capacity.

The only bad current is overcurrent.

There are fusable links out there and even GM sells them.

You could throw them in for peace of mind but major alternator short-outs are quite rare and fusable links are not always the most reliable thing around. They are like stress risers and ocassionally go bad, perhaps from a combination of current and vibration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back