Two independent battery system in same control room

Status
Not open for further replies.

veegrid

Electrical
Sep 16, 2014
US
Hi everyone,
Typically for the substation control room, where I need to install two separate battery systems, we used to put in a separate room. Recently, I have a few situations where both battery systems need to install the same room. Each battery system is about 1300Ah Lead-acid battery and will be installed on two-step racks. The room is about 40ft x 40ft. Ventilation is sufficient to exhaust hydrogen. It is not preferred to add a partition and make room in two for each battery system.
1. Any standard or guide drive that at what the minimum distance I should keep both battery systems away from each other? Is it defined anywhere in distance (such as 3ft, 4ft,5ft, etc. ..?) NESC-2017 and OSHA requires 3ft working clearance, that I am following. But is there anything else that requires flammable objects keeping far at a certain distance?
2. I can add a firewall between the two, but thinking is it really necessary? OR what value is it adding?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've posted on this topic in other threads...

As an operator who has worked in many different control rooms over the years, I for one would take an extremely dim view of having a battery system residing in the same room as me, regardless of the size of the room and any optimistic claims of sufficient ventilation to scavenge hydrogen notwithstanding.

Are there not any regulations that prohibit the placement of "battery systems" within attended control rooms? I'd have no issue with this in normally unattended relay buildings, but within an attended control room? Not if I could help it!

CR

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." [Proverbs 27:17, NIV]

Good question, actually; I ASSumed it was, but now I'm not sure, as the OP never said one way or the other...and I'd use the word "staffed" so as not to be PI [blush]

CR

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." [Proverbs 27:17, NIV]

@veegrid,
I have inherited a battery station that looks like that in my other life. Rack 1 was supplying DC power to the East Plant while the other Rack 2 just beside it supplies DC power to the West Plant. Rack clearance looks normal to me. A person can go in between the racks and do his thing without hitting either rows (Check for corrosion at terminals, connectors, racks, Check the ambient temperature, check all the electrolyte levels, and correct if necessary, etc.)

You must have some regulations specifying a safe working distance around electrical equipment.
Imagine an wall a safe working distance away from one battery bank.
Place the other battery bank a safe working distance the other side of the imaginary wall.
Designing your installation this way, with a separation of two times the safe working distance, will be defensible.
When Harry is servicing one battery bank while Sally is servicing the other battery bank, there should not be any (safety) issues when Harry meets Sally.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back