Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Two job offers - decision - anyone work for a large global company?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximise

Mechanical
Feb 14, 2009
GB
I am 27 years old. 6+ years experience as a project/mechanical and design engineer. Spent the last 3 years designing special purpose machinery for a small company.

The companies:

A is a sub-division of a larger global company.

B is a large global company - bigger than A.

The type of work:

A is mechanical design and project management.
The product is interesting, and has plenty of physics/scientific complexities.

B is mechanical design and systems/mechanical engineering.
The product is interesting but perhaps not as technically scientific, just complex.

Scope for development:

A would be very much "on-the-job" training, but very valuable. Solidworks, FEA, FMEA

B has plenty of opportunities to develop "big-picture" systems techniques - six sigma , there also seems to be opportunities for professional accreditation and development.

Travel:
A has almost no travel involved in the role.

B has frequent travel to Asia; the employer and recruitment agent mentioned that there is no direct compensation for travelling, it is expected and there may be time in lieu given under the managers discretion.

The package:
A has flex-time, a good bonus and a good holiday/leave allowance

B has no flex-time, no bonus and less holiday/leave allowance than I get in my current role.
A pays the same as B.

The recruitment agent:
A has been exceptional, very professional and helpful. No issues whatsoever.

B has been inconsistent, this could be down to the employer not having an official job specification, but also he is very unprofessional and talks in excess of what is required. He has tried to push me into accepting a certain salary - "would you accept the job at X amount"
I have told him that I would need the complete job offer before making any decisions.

Offers:
Company A has offered me a job in writing - the complete package and job specification has been determined.

Company B has verbally offered me a job - the job specification is vague and has been loosely based on a more senior role.

Dealings are done via recruitment agents, each for both companies.

I could see myself working at either company.

Final thoughts:

I feel that if opportunity B didn't come into the mix, I would definitely take A.

But B seems like a no-brainer - good opportunities for training, development and travel, and there is more of a "big-picture" systems engineering approach to work.

But I feel that A offers a better work-life balance/ friendlier smaller team
Is B worth taking a risk on career development wise?
and I still need to get an official offer in writing.

I'm going to make a priorities table and weigh in the details I currently have been provided with.

Really hoping to get a more experienced view of this, if there's anyone out there and if you need to know any more information please do reply :)

Especially if there's any guys working for a large company!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

B...The product is interesting but perhaps not as technically scientific, just complex.

"Interesting" Why, because it sparkles? Does it go to the moon? Or maybe because of celebrity endorsements? These things get pretty dull pretty quick (I can say firsthand). But, if that's what attracts you, maybe it's time to start spiraling your way out of engineering.

Sounds like a no-brainer, "A".
Unless you like to travel to Asia.

The only benefit I've experienced working for a Global Fortune 40 company is that they fully pay for continuing education, generous pier diem expenses for travel, and training programs like you've said. Good reasons, yes, but they don't even come close to making up for the excitement and camaraderie you should find t a smaller outfit.

But I'm somewhat of an oddball, so please don't take my thoughts as any sort of worthwhile advice.

If having all the information in a neat package is important to you, go with the one that apparently has that as a corporate goal. Accept that everything is going to be process driven, and that changes can be like swimming in molasses. Also accept that the shit-together feeling you are getting from them could be more a function of the guy than the company.

The other company "seems" to be less regimented, but it might just be the guy you are talking to. Any company that size is going to have processes for everything.

With any big company, your latitude will be very curtailed. If that works for you, you probably wouldn't go far wrong with either one.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

"Belief" is the acceptance of an hypotheses in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

Ok thank-you greatly for your replies.

A is vibration testing on a large scale

B is printers, paper handling and potentially more products

I must admit A sounds much more like what I'd want from a job.

Travelling overseas on business is fun the first time, OK the second time and then after that it becomes an exercise in making sure that you claim every single benefit you can get out of it. Your employer has many well paid people who will spend hours attempting to minimise that benefit to you.

If you are doing proper engineering work then the only important accreditation will accumulate. If you can't learn the important bits of six sigma in 2 weeks of reading at night then I'd be most surprised.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

"A". If you have any further questions, pick "A". Did I mention my choice would be "A".
Maybe you should consider "A".

Company A has provided you with specifics
Company B has provided you with flowery words that don't mean anything.

Re-read your original post, read it out loud if necessary.

All companies have their dysfunctions. But in my experience, the bigger the company, the more messed up it is. I prefer to work for small companies.

A has been specific and professional.

B has been something else.

Put me down for A.

I joined the military when I was younger and it resulted in some of my worst and greatest life experiences. I wouldn't trade that experience for the world but I was ready to put that experience behind me. If you desire a life altering event then company B sounds like it would be a good experience. It sounds like you have been fortunate in your career as most would see company A as a no brainer but if you've work for places with good work/life balance and fair benefits then I can see why you would be leaning toward B. Sometimes it takes a struggle in life to appreciate the good things. Sounds like company B is the experience you need at this point in your life and I say go for it, just tell yourself that you are doing this as an experience and not a permanent career because at the end of the day any company that demands excessive travel without significant financial benefits for your hardship is wrong.

"A" have been direct, put everything in writing, and offered you a complete compensation package. And they have done all of this up front.

"B" has not. They made a verbal offer, but have not provided one in writing. They have been rather vague about the details of your employment, other than making it clear that they expect you to travel extensively for their benefit with no added compensation. "B" is bigger than "A". This very likely means that the people who run "B" are more weaseley than the ones who are running company "A". The way that they have interacted with you so far appears to support this.

This is a no-brainer. "A" the choice that I would select.

Maui

No brainer. A. wins hands down on every count that matters.

Travel for business is not at all like travel for fun- it can be fun, but it rapidly loses its lustre. A lot of it is living out of a suitcase and spending a lot of your time working, i.e. being unable to do what you really want to do because you're sitting in an airport or hotel room somehwere, but not being paid for it in any way.

Travel for business is one matter, and being forced to relocate as part of your professional development within a big multinational organization is another thing entirely. I've never been there but have plenty of friends and colleagues and customers who have. Being forced to move- regions and even countries- frequently as part of your job, only works if you are single and want to stay that way long term, or have a partner who has no job and doesn't care to get one. There are still organizations that require you to live that way if you expect to advance in any meaningful fashion within their ranks.

"B" threw up lots of red flags with them being weasel-ly with the job offer. I've had very bad first hand experience with job offers as vague as the one you are getting from "B" - don't fall for it.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Agree with A.

It is better to have enough ideas for some of them to be wrong, than to be always right by having no ideas at all.

One more vote for A as no-brainer
People come and go all the time at B. B will always be there, I'd consider joining B later in your career when YOU will be interviewing Them.

Got to admit, you're one lucky dog to have such a problem in the current employment market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back