Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Two phase flow analysis(Caesar II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

portharcourt

Mechanical
Sep 19, 2001
GB
Can someone assist on information on how to model on Caesar II a system with a two phase flow - liquid and vapour.
Do I just calculate the density of the mix and use in the input file. Any special calculation for the spring on the line?
I will apprecate your responds.
Portharcourt

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have not used CAESER 2 but I understand it is a flexiblity analysis software, whose primary concern is to assess the pipe under sustained and occassional loads for determining thermal movements etc. and arrive at final loads on the structure which carries /supports the pipe.

Therefore , modeling a multi phase flow needs to be checked with help menu in CAESER

However if the fluid exists in 2 phases, different software must be available to size the pipe. lots of tips are availble in this site for sizing pipe against poly phase flow.

Please type key word multi/poly phase flow on search.

regards,
mechatronic

Hi Portharcourt,

I have not used Ceasar II as a simulation package for analysis of multiphase flow in a pipeline but I can recommend you to use Pipesim 2000. All you have to do is import your property stream from hysys into Pipesim 2000 and Pipesim 2000 will calculate your heat transfer effects, outlet temperature etc.

Hope this helps

svv

porta,

In resonse to the above two posts, "if you don't know what CAESAR-II does and havent used it...how can you comment ?"

In response to your question, your goal in using CAESAR-II is to perform a structural analysis of a piping system and to evaluate and select pipe supports/restraints. You may require spring hangers for code qualification of this piping system.

If so, run both a "full of steam" and "full of water" load case to size the spring hanger. Use the worst case combination of loads to size the pipe supports and evaluate nozzles (as required).

The CAESAR-II technical manual contains information for modelling "large bore" piping systems that undergo hydrostatic testing..........Review this

Just my suggestion

MJC

Thank you so much SVV and Mechatronic, you contributions were insightive, however, as MJCronin pointed out my overall aim is to run a piping analysis using Caesar II, the pipe bore is 12". I specifically want to know how to take care of the two phases involved(liquid and vapour) because I jave to calculate the density of the mix, which I will very much apprecate an input.
I quite understand your input on the spring and would do so.
Thanks.

You'll really want to check with your process engineer to get an understanding of the relative volumes involved. Most cases of two phase flow I've seen tend to be closer to full vapor than full liquid in terms of weight consideration. Edward L. Klein
Pipe Stress Engineer
Houston, Texas

All opinions expressed here are my own and not my company's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back