Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Two questions, Sections lines I want to move from side to side and dimensioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff97070

Mechanical
Feb 14, 2013
US
I have made a section view and the section line extends way out past of the edge of the part on both sides system created and the only thing I can move are the arrows either up or down. I can not find anyway to move the section line left or right. I want to be able to move the section line with arrows so its closer to edge of the part. In Pro-Engineer you just grab the drag handles on the line and move it where you want it left or right and you can also move the arrows up or down.

Next I have a part with a Dowel pin assembled in it. I want to make a simple Dimension from the edge of the part to the bottom of the dowel pin, please note the dowel pin has a rounded bottom. No matter what I do Solidworks refuses to make this simply dimension and I don't see any options offered. In Pro-Engineer for this the system would ask if you want the dimension to be tanget to the rounded bottom of the dowel pin and you click yes and the dimesion is created.

I'm running Solidworks 2014 and have looked at Youtube which is hit and miss and will soon be getting Solidworks 2014 book.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Section view should be easy. Right-Click on the section line and select 'Edit Sketch'. This should bring up the line where the section is cut. You shoul dbe able to drag this around freely, unless it is constrained somehow. Check out of the sketch and your cross-section should have moved.

If it is a true arc, you should be able to select the dimension, then in the feature manager there is 'min' and 'max' which will dimension to the closest or farthest extents of the arc. So if you select dimensions max it should select the bottom of the arc.
Option 2 is to draw a sketch line (or place a point) at the bottom of the arc and dimension to it,

Hope this helps.

-Lou

Another way to do each of the things you want:

To move the section line arrows closer to the edge of the part, click on the section line to select it, then hover over the corner where the line and arrow meet. When the cursor shows a green dot with a tiny section line icon near it, click and hold, and drag wherever you want. Same way you make the arrows longer or shorter, but you click on the corner where the arrow and section line meet instead of the arrow tip.

To dimension to the tangent point of an arc:, with the dimension tool activated, when you click to make your selections, hold the shift button down while clicking on the edge of the arc where you want the dimension to go. This will make the dimension default to tangent point rather than center point. You can do this between 2 arcs, too.

Another way to dimension tangent to an arc or circle:
When dimensioning to an arc or circle the dimension properties will have selections for dimensioning to the min or max as appropriate which will move the dimension to a tangent.
Note that the circle or arc must be selected not the center point when placing the dimension.

Timelord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back