Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

two view - horizontal question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdelnet

Mechanical
May 13, 2005
CA
when viewing a part using the two view horizontal active-
-​
The model has 2 configurations, 1 as formed (rolled), 1 as a flat pattern
I would like to see the model in the top view in the rolled configuration
and the model in the bottom view as a flat pattern,
(The flat pattern is not a derived configuration if that matters, it is created with shared profile geometry)

Anyone know if this is possible - I have run out of ideas to try...

SW 2014 SP 5.0 x64

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

pdelnet, I agree with Jeff ... can't be done. However you could view the flat pattern with a second session of SW. This is especially useful if you have dual monitors.
Note: The second session will open the file as read only.

Chris, Window > Viewport > Two View - Horizontal

Thanks for the responses.
I figured it couldn't be done, what I really wanted to see was the effect of a change of a dimension would have on the part without having to switch configurations.
I have a number of equations and global variables at play, I am not sure the second session will do it but I will give it a go...

Thanks again.

SW 2014 SP 5.0 x64

Sorry, I was thinking it was a drawing view.
You can create a drawing view, then add an alternate view of the other config.
Change the one config, rebuild, you can see both together as they update.

Chris, CSWA
SolidWorks 14
SolidWorks Legion

That sounds like the closest thing I will be able to do, have the model open in 1 window so I can edit the dimension and have a drawing open in another window with the two views on it.
Thanks

SW 2014 SP 5.0 x64

Or you can put both flat and formed configurations in a temporary assembly. That would give you the option of aligning/mating surfaces together if you wish which might make it easier to see the effects. I do it this way when the need arises.

- - -Updraft

yup that would work as well.

I did the formed view of the model in 1 window, the drawing of the flat pattern in another and spanned both monitors - does the job.

I think I will add the ability to view different configurations in the "two view - horizontal" mode as an enhancement request.
Fell free to jump on board if you think is worth it.

SW 2014 SP 5.0 x64

Have you tried the alternate position view? This allows you to overlay another configuration over an existing view. It shows the alternate configuration in phantom lines - not sure if this will work for a part, but you can try putting the part in an assembly and creating configurations in that.

Cook Automation, LLC
Machine Design, Robotics, Custom Automation, Machine Vision
info@cookautomation.com

1. Save your part as an assembly.
2. Open assembly.
3. Open part.
4. Use Non-overlapping tiles.
5. Change configuration in Assy to flat view.
6. Edit part in Assy.
7. Click on part to view revs.

You may have to refresh views.

Hope this helps.
Sylvia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back