Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Type 1 Fire Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.

CPENG78

Civil/Environmental
Sep 2, 2008
US
Does anyone have a good reference point to find standards dimensions and turning specs for a Type 1 Fire truck? Its my understanding that this type of truck appears to be used in wild land/open space fire events.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Type I trucks are what you would typically see at a commercial / residential fire. A large wildland or brush unit would be a type III. The engines are not what will be your most difficult design criteria however. A lot of wildland water tenders are built on larger chassis with all axles being drive axles, reworked military vehicles, and other larger trucks with poor turning radii. They also carry up to 3,500 gallons of water, tools, and other equipment pushing them to around 60,000 pounds.

A good reference would be to look at something like an International WorkStar with a front drive axle. That will give you a good idea of the turning radius.

As always thank you all for your input. Acknowledged on the code reference and the model of truck check with the agency. Unfortunately the fire agency has not provided anything beyond a description of "Type 1 fire truck". In the absence of more information, I was hoping to do an initial rough truck turning analysis until the agency got back to me with more concrete information.

Maybe a Type 1 would be similar in axle separation to an AASHTO H25? Any thoughts?

Engines - This is what most fire departments call the basic vehicle. But just about anywhere you can find a department where these kinds of apparatus are sometimes referred to as “Pumpers”. Most of the time they could generically be referred to as “triple capacity” apparatus. This is because they can do three jobs. They can pump, transport personnel, and carry hose. This is not a “fire truck”. It is possible to have a single function vehicle. Engines can also be classified as "Type I", Type II" or "Type III". This pertains to the size of pump etc.

Document100_lyaudb.jpg

Hi-Tech Type 1 Pumper Metro Star has a Cramp Angle of 42° — 53°.

Document17_hbl3yq.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back