Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

type b plug for thailand

jmacion

Computer
May 10, 2022
US

shipping a unit to thailand from usa.

customer in thailand insists they want type B plug on unit and that it runs at 220VAC
type B looks like nema 5-15P but all I can find have 120VAC ratings not 220V AC

thoughts? just give them the 120VAC rated device?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Advice-for-you when Travelling in Thailand/ said:
For Thailand there are four associated plug types, types A, B and C. Plug type A is the plug which has two flat parallel pins, plug type B has two flat parallel pins and a grounding pin and plug type C has two round pins. Thailand operates on a 230V supply voltage and 50Hz.
Apparently Thailand uses 5-15P at 220 VAC.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

The 120 Volt rating on a 5-15P plug has to do with the circuit that it is intended to be used on in North American. It is not the withstand rating.
Compare the clearances with a 7-15P (277 VAC) and with a 24-15P (347 VAC)

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

thank you.

Im not worried about the dielectric.
its generally about 1000V per mil, no doubts the cable will not fail at 250VAC

ITs just more of UL rating question

technically the rating is for 120

jmacion (Computer)(OP)23 Sep 24 15:25

'...shipping a unit to thailand from usa... customer in thailand insists they want type B plug on unit and that it runs at 220VAC...type B looks like nema 5-15P but all I can find have 120VAC ratings not 220V AC...'.
I have the following opinion for your consideration.
1. See NEC, 5-15P and 5-15R are rated for 125 V; as you had done your ground work/research.
Attention: it would be a non Code compliance installed on 220 V system!
2. Suggestion: Change the plug to 6-15P and socket to 6-15R rated for 250 V.
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

customer in thailand insists they want type B plug on unit and that it runs at 220VAC
The customer may not always be right but he is always the customer.
Attention: it would be a non Code compliance installed on 220 V system!
What may be a code violation in North America may be a standard operating procedure in Thailand.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

'..What may be a code violation in North America may be a standard operating procedure in Thailand'.
1. I strongly against the opinion. It is a NEC violation, unless the exemption is officially printed in the Thai Electrical Regulation/Code ...etc. Why take the risk ! You have NO legal ground to stand on, when faced with the Law.
2. It cost nothing to replace the plug to 6-15P and socket to 6-15R rated for 250 V. Your customer is NOT involved. It does NOT cause him any inconvenience or cost. There should NOT be any issue.
3. The only possible problem is 6-15 xx may not be readily available in Thailand market. Order them from US. It cost nothing compared to the price of the equipment delivery being held up, due to this issue.
Che Kuan Yau (Singapore)

thanks Che12345 and Waross

Genreally with most med devices similar to our companies, many companies ship them without plugs and put the burden on the installer to take care of it.

The customer has explicitly stated that now, 2x that they want this plug on it and that it will be used with 220VAC. Im just going to ship it but put a label on it about the rating.

Im guessing locally they have 250VAC NEMA 5-15P in some small niche market that the USA does not have access too.

I just wanted a second option.. thanks for your time

While I applaud Mr Che's efforts to impose the American National Electrical Code on Thailand, I suspect that his efforts may go unheeded in Thailand.
A possible concern may be the UL certification of the shop, should this deviation come to light during an audit.
A possible solution:
Install an NEC compliant 6-15P (250 Volt/15 Amp) plug on the device.
You are now covered in the event of any subsequent UL compliance audit.
Include in the shipment an undocumented 5-15P plug connected by a short cord to a 6-15R cord end.
Do not document this conversion device, just make it up and add it to the end of the plug on the machine.
You may wish to include a short, hand written, undocumented, note of explanation. No paper trail.
Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Isn't this situation a problem for the importer and not the exporter? In the US importing non-compliant cars frequently results in the cars being sent to the crusher.

The main risk is that Thai government captures this, decides it's not compliant, and the customer demands a refund.

Apparently there is no Rresidential Electrical Code to comply with in Thailand.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

I dont know.
Dont want to make to much out of it though.

one thing for sure, its safe, we all agree on that.

just going to ship it and small chance it will come back

Thailand uses A, B, C and F plugs, but only 220VAC, so that's their "code." Cambodia is similar, although they supposedly don't use type B.

Note that some consumer electronics sold for use in the US with types A and B plugs allow for 220V inputs so that the user doesn't need a voltage converter when traveling.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Screenshot_2024-09-28_at_07-06-52_Thai_Industrial_Standards_Institute_TISI_kqbgs2.png

Screenshot_2024-09-28_at_07-04-41_867.infographic_166-2549.jpg_JPEG_Image_1600_2000_pixels_oqfnih.png

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

With a bit of help from Google Translate:
TIS 166-2006 said:
Scope
1. This standard covers plugs and socket-outlets, fixed or portable socket-outlets, for use in alternating current, having a rated voltage not exceeding 250 volts and a rated current not exceeding 16 A, intended for use in residential and similar general purposes, both indoors and outdoors, with an ambient temperature not exceeding 40 °C.
2. This standard also covers plugs and socket-outlets in socket-outlet sets and portable socket-outlets included in socket-outlet extension cords that are part of electrical appliances, unless otherwise specified in the standard for the relevant electrical appliance.
This standard does not cover:
- Plugs and socket-outlets and couplers for industrial use
- Appliance couplers
- Plugs and socket-outlets, fixed and portable socket-outlets for extra-low voltage (ELV)
- Socket-outlets incorporating automatic fuses, etc.
- Requirements for flush mounting boxes, but covers only the requirements for surface mounting boxes. (surface-type mounting box) which is necessary for testing with sockets.
For definitions and other details of the product, see

Is this residential or industrial use?

I own a number of adapters I use for overseas travel. None of them change voltage or frequency, they simply adapt the blades so they fit. The UL devices I'm adapting of course need to be rated to allow a range of voltages and frequency. It must be allowable under UL to put such a plug on a range taking device.

Back