Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Type II 72-hr Rainfall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weimsguy

Civil/Environmental
Mar 1, 2017
US
I was able to download and add Type II 48-hr.hcr storm to the HydroCAD Rainfall Library. Is there a way to Use the 6-hr, 12-hr, 24-hr, and 48-hr to derive the 72-hr storm? We are getting into Dam projects that require looking at PMP/PMF events.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am just getting started with HydroCAD, so I have not explored all the options; I was hoping it was as simple as grabbing the Type II 72-hr.hrc file from somewhere. I do not know all of the specific project requirements yet, but I have read in the TCEQ (Texas Commission on Environment Quality) Dam Safety Program that with respect to the PMP depths, "Then each possible duration up to 72 hours should be reviewed in order to determine the critical duration." Unfortunately Texas is one of the states where information is lacking, except for the larger metro areas. I have the PMP rainfall from the HMR51 charts and all the storms except the 72-hr. I'll look into your suggestions. Thanks for your response.

There is no standard Type II 72-hour distribution, so you will have top scrutinize your stormwater regulations to determine exactly what is required.

Frankly, the text you quoted ("each possible duration up to 72 hours should be reviewed in order to determine the critical duration") tends to imply the use of the Rational method, and not the SCS/NRCS method. As such, the analysis would be based solely on IDF data and would not use a temporal rainfall distribution, 72-hour or otherwise. Again, a careful reading of the regulations is necessary.

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

TCEQ: 4.3 Temporal Distribution of Design-Storm Precipitation "Distribute the total depth of the PMP, for both the entire basin as well as for each subbasin, as appropriate, temporally...". I assumed that meant using the a 72-hr distribution with the 72-hr rainfall. I should have remembered what I learned about ASSUME in college (so many years ago). However, subsequent charts and graphs imply no difference in 48 to 72-hr distribution; only the PMP rainfall depths. So I guess the end result is Type II 48-hr with 72-hr rainfall. I will dig deeper before posting any questions in this forum. I'll also study HydroCAD more with your very good YouTube tutorials before asking questions about HydroCAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back