Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Typical ambient noise levels and/or transmitter power limits

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrk45

Electrical
Feb 13, 2008
GB
I am just beginning a study which will involve modelling parts of the uk wireless radio spectrum (between 0.4 and 10GHz). For this purpose I want to know how much ambient noise a receiver can expect to see in each band. If anyone knows where I can obtain such data that would be great. In that absence of that I would consider modelling the noise by aggregating the output from nearby radio transmitters. For this I need to know what the power limits (EIRP or PSD) are for the various sources that operate over this range. Does anyone know where I can find that information? I began looking at the ofcom site and ITU but couldn't seem to locate what I want.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Such data would be extremely location-dependent. Also, to a lesser degree, polarization-dependent.

What is the purpose of this analysis? For use in estimating communication range degradation for various systems?

There are official testing organizations that provides compliance proof that radio's radiate only in their assigned bandwidth. For military equipment one has to provide an EMC/EMI test result = electromagnetic compatability/electromagnetic interference.

Here is a link to a US test facility that does work for the UK.
which said this in a Google search line "UK Ministry Of Defense standards testing"
Here is a UK company link

kch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back