Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

typical hotel room hourly occupation profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucaspenalva

Mechanical
Oct 16, 2017
BR
Hello there,

I'm doing a study on hotel's chiller sizing and I'm looking for a typical hotel room hourly occupation profile.

That is:

From all room that were sold, how many are actually occupied (guest is inside the room), for every hour of the day?

Example:

- 11a.m. = 20% (100 sold rooms / 20 rooms occupied)
- 8 p.m. = 80% (100 sold rooms / 80 rooms occupied)

Does anybody have this profile?

Thank you all in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Seems to me that might possibly depend on what kinds of thermostats the hotel uses. If they're simple thermostats, then it's like that the demand temperature is unchanged throughout the day. We typically turn the thermostat up a tad at night, just to keep the A/C noise down, but often turn the temperature down before we leave so that it'll be at a comfortable temperature when we return.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

IRstuff raises a good point, does the hotel has any means to monitor room occupancy? (and integrate into room temperature controls)
I have occasionally seen the keycard used to deactivate lighting but I've never seen it deployed to put AC on a unoccupied set back. possible though no doubt.

Certainly, as a gross generality, one heads to a hotel because one is visiting or doing business, or both, so the amount of time stayed within the room is likely to be driven by the need for sleep. That said, the last time we rented a hotel room, I was actually in it almost full-time, since my wife was off to a seminar, and I was trying to do some work.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

What I am looking for is typical hotel guest room occupancy schedule for central cooling plant sizing and energy consumption analysis during design period.

I have found this information in the link below:

It's not for control during operation, but for design purposes.

The website above is very useful but if anybody has real data that would add a lot!

Of course, it's just estimate.

I think you need to decide what sort of typical hotel you mean.

A business hotel
A budget hotel whet every one disappears early on
A vacation hotel
Etc..

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

@LittleInch,

By 'typical hotel' I mean I don't have interest in those 6+ stars extremely luxury hotels - but anything below that would be highly appreciated, including business, budget and vacation hotel.

In fact, right now I'm doing a study for a business hotel, so I can say it's my priority for now - but if you or anyone else have data on budget and vacation hotel would be great as well.

Thank you all in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back