Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

U-Haul warehouse 48 height ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeman narwal

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2023
CA
We have found a head k 28 factor which allow us to go to 48 ft ceiling and 43 ft storage. Can someone guide me how to get around the A5.6 exclusion. My understanding of the code states that NFPA doesn't have any guidelines for storing household materials in boxes stored in a warehouse. What kind of a sprinkler system do we need to go for then?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is this in the USA??

How many square feet is the building?

Of that how many square feet of this storage

What NFPA standards or International fire code do you have to meet?

There is a thing called high piled storage

It's in Canada.
Approx 40000 sq ft.
NFPA 13

We designed an ESFR system using k 28 heads.
During the coordination stage the contractor pointed out we can't use the ESFR system for containers storing household items, as it is an exclusion from NFPA 13 commodity classification.

I'm not sure what exclusion are you talking about. Section 3.9.1 does not exist.
Also I am not aware of any exclusion about household commodities imposed by NFPA 13. The standard does not exclude commodities based on the occupancy the items belong to rather combustibility, type of packaging and type of storage.

Screenshot_20231214-102718_gkopmr.png

Is this the one being built in the west end of Edmonton? I don't really have too much insight other than to say that you are probably solidly into alternative solution territory, especially if they are stacking the containers on top of each other.

FM DS 3-26 classifies 'Manufacturing/Assembly of Boats, Highway Trailers, Trucks, Boxcars, Mobile Homes or similar' as an HC-3 occupancy, with a density of 0.5/3000 for a ceiling height of 45-60 ft. But that is 'manufacturing', not storage.

Maybe ask if a similar UHaul warehouse has been constructed recently, and see if you can get a hold of the sprinkler plans to have a look.

Also - there has got to be some insurance company involvement in a job like this. I would reach out to them as well.

Suggest you post here also

See what replies you get

There is more to it than just installing sprinklers.

40,000 sq ft would go fast!!!

The commodity referred to is from the fire code

“”” It should be noted that the International Fire Code (IFC), 2015 edition also includes a list of classifications for commodities, which differs somewhat from that in the NFPA 13. However, the American Fire Sprinkler Association has pointed out that the IFC is far broader in scope than the NFPA, and that it is more appropriate when addressing overall fire protection requirements for a building. However, when it comes to the design, installation of sprinkler systems specifically, the requirements in NFPA 13 apply“”

U-Haul or other storage companies are going to need to get some full scale fire testing done to get the criteria for this stuff.

Travis Mack, SET, RME-G,
MEPCad, Inc
AutoSPRINK | AutoSPRINK FAB | AutoSPRINK RVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back