Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

U-Stamp renewal 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OwaisGillani

Mechanical
Nov 14, 2005
RO
Guys, though you may find the question funny, please give your learned comments.

"Is it possible that a shop may get the renewal of ASME U-stamp accredition without ever having the BPV code?"

Looking forward to the replies

Owais Gillani

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The answer is no, ASME requires that the certificate Holder have the required Code books. This is verifed by the Joint Review Team Leader during the review. If this did happen then the entire Review Team including the Leader did not perform in accordance the ASME prodedures.

I would report this fact to ASME staff, I can give you the name and phone number if you need it.

"Is it possible that a shop may get the renewal of ASME U-stamp accredition without ever having the BPV code?"

I am going to take one other apporach to this, if you have NO access to ASME B&PV Code books (via hard copy or via an Internet subscriber service, like IHS Global Standards), the answer is no. Similar to a mechanic trying to repair cars without buying tools.

I concur with all others. However, isn't it now possible to have electronic access to the Code without having the actual books?

The Accreditation Package (order form),page 2, from ASME is the only place you will find this requirement.

The Code books required for use with the applicable ASME Code Symbol Stamps are as shown on the order form link below:

There are three kinds of people in this world; those who can count and those who can't.

This is funny. The owner of the fab shop don't need a copy of the code books because he has a hard drive build into his brain and he memorized all the code paragraphs.

I hope you are not putting a vessel into that shop. What's the name and location of the shop? Just curious.

Thank you all the invaluable responses. I had very similar thoughts.

I cannot give the name of that shop because of obvious reasons. But believe me, I will do every thing I can to stop incompetent organizations from getting certified.

One more question; Can the shop get through by borrowing the code books from somewhere for a day or two (during the audit) for showing the Review Team? Don't they (Review Team) have any means to check whether the code books were there at the shop for the whole time or were brought in for a couple of days?

Can some one give me the contact details of ASME complaints desk in case this shop 'accidently' gets the renewal?

Answer to your 1st question is: The only way, that I know of, to check whether the Code book is their or not is 1. ask for the sales invoice. The invoice should show that the code book was sold to this company on what date. 2. Review their Quality Manual. It should specify that they will keep a current code book in the shop. 3. Look at the book and see if there is a company stamp on it and if it matches this shop's name. Other than that, I don't think anyone can stop someone from cheating; most of what we do is really based on professionalism and some degree of trust.

Seriously, if you can't tell us the name of the shop, at least tell us which country it is in so we can be aware?

OwaisGillani,

Even if the shop in question were to borrow the books to gain their renewel, surely their AI would know they didn't have the relevant codes and therefore were not complying with their QA manual.

Jez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back