Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

UCL-23 FCAW Weld Metal Overlay

Status
Not open for further replies.

ENG2194

Mechanical
Sep 12, 2019
US
We are working on a Section VIII Div.1 carbon steel vessel that requires a Nickel alloy corrosion resistant weld metal overlay. For reasons I wont get into here we need to include the thickness of the overlay in the pressure design calculations as permitted by UCL-23(C). We would like to FCAW the overlay, but my AI has taken the following statement from UCL-23(c) to claim that the overlay MUST be deposited by a manual welding processes.

"The thickness of the corrosion resistant weld metal overlay cladding deposited by manual processes shall be verified by electrical or mechanical means."

To me this reads completely different. The shall in this statement does not seem to be referring to the welding process. The shall seems to be referring to the required verification based on "IF" the overlay is deposited manually.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Any code cases or interpretations that could help us argue that FCAW deposit of weld metal overlay is not prohibited by UCL-23(c)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The AI is absolutely wrong. Corroson resistant weld overlays are commonly made with automatic and semiautomatic processes. Go to his AIA employer to rectify the issue. Your interpretation is correct.

Thanks for the reply. I do find it strange that the code then does not require thickness verification for semi automatic processes though.

With more automatic processes they trust the process qualification to adequately control the thickness.
Just curious, is this a two pass process? Usually the only way to make sure that dilution is low enough to have correct surface chemistry.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

The semiautomatic FCAW process may be manually applied by a welder or by machine controlled by a weling operator. if the welder is manually applying the overlay, the verificatin process remains a requiremnt.

Sounds like you are saying that Sec.VIII has a different definition of "manual" than Sec.IX. I got it worked out anyway for "manual" FCAW with thickness verification. Thanks for yalls input. I like to check here to make sure I have missed something before pushing back on our AI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back