Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UG No Drawing required 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

realwest

Mechanical
Mar 29, 2003
CA
Any one know of a viewer that can view UG models complete with GD&T,dimensions,and Notes that are attached to the model? This is similar to the question I had earlier. UG cannot translate the data but if I can use the UG model and access the data with a cheaper viewer I would achieve the same result. All product definition in the model is the goal. No drawing required.
thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could output a VRML file, there are a number of plugins (some free) so the file can be viewed in a web browser. I toyed with one a year or so ago that even let you take dimensions off of the model (sorry, don't remember the name of the plug-in). I didn't try to export notes or GD&T, so I can't comment on how that would work.

Thanks for the reply but what I want is for the Supplier to be able to see exactly what the designer has annotated in the model without having to use Unigraphics. I thought I could use Vis but haven't had much success.
RW

If you have Annotations placed in your model like it seems you must there is a viewer made by Actify called "Spinfire" that has access to a variety of CAD formats with plugins. That might make it possible to view the notes and at least measure the geometry.

I've used it with the Pro/E plugin but never tried the UG version.

Michael

Lookup 'Author HTML' in gateway help (I stumbled across it while searching for something unrelated). It appears if you have a Web express license (we don't) that you can export an HTML page with jpegs, attribute info, and even a VRML model.

This is a subject I'd like to learn more about.

Is there a way to attach the GD&T and dimensional tolerances to sketch and feature dimensions other than thru the Smart Model menu? It seems that we did not purchase this module, so that option is unavailable to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Bob

According to John Baker at the UG BBS, ASME Y14.41-2003 DIGITAL PRODUCT DEFINITION DATA PRACTICES functionality is going to be incorporated in NX3 or later; they are working on it.

Thanks for all of the replies.
I have had success with AutoView from Cimmetry, it works very well and it loads models complete with annotation from UG and Pro/E. I've also been experimenting with Vis, it should be able to view everything, I think I just had my settings wrong for exporting PMI data. I've only been working with simple models and the GD&T has been added manually. As far as John Bakers answer isn't that the standard answer 'it's in the next release" ;). Any way I'm glad to hear they are working on it, I'll ask him about it at the next user conference.
As far as the project the part I'm trying to make is just a formed plate with slots and holes, it turns out that the supplier doesn't even look at the dimensions because their process is so accurate!! Even the GD&T is not required because they make it better than we're asking, I know that's not the point of GD&T but that's what they are doing.
So the bottom line is all I really need to give them is a solid model and tell them the material, they flatten the part send the data to the Laser burner, cut the plate and then bend it. If it wasn't for QA saying "how do we check it?" the project would be over. So now I can get the part made but I can't get it in the door because QA won't accept it. Any body else have any ideas on how to resolve the QA issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back