Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ug nx2 drafting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

schoryan

Automotive
Sep 12, 2001
US
question one- why is it when i open a drawing i have to click the assembly navigator and reload the part because the box is unchecked.meaning the part isnt fully showing up y does it do this?

question 2- i need to break a dimension line there is an arrow head running over it and i need to break the dimension line. in 18 you would go to user defined symbols to accomplish this, but i dont see it in there. did they move it? if so where.

designer gooroo
catia v5
unigraphics nx
pro-e wildfire
ideas v10
autocad 2004

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For question one, check your load options. File->Options->Load Options.

I use either As Saved or Search Directories, Load All Components, Use Partial Loading.

Change to what you want & save. That should fix the loading problem.

I'll have to research the second question. You can do it, but it's a kind of located in an obscure place.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

yeah i did change the load options and specified the directory, but it still does it. weird. wheelguy are you on a unix box?

designer gooroo
catia v4 & v5
unigraphics nx2
pro-e wildfire
ideas v10
autocad 2004

Hmmmm...might be something in your customer defaults then. If you're using the toolkit & not working with massive assemblies, you might be able to comment out all the versioning rules in the gm_metric.def file. Only do this if you're not working with big assemblies though.

Have not been on UNIX since v16. Windoze all the way now, bro. I really never liked UNIX, but I never used any other than HP/UX, so that may be a skewed view on UNIX boxes.

Also, with the direction UG is going, staying on UNIX is going to prevent use of some of the new enhancements coming to modeling, as for the time being they are only targeted for Windows platforms. So far, Modeled Text is supposed to make its debut in NX3 but only on a Windoze platform.

We'll see what happens.

Most of this Windows trend is due to the fact that GM had a major migration from UNIX to Windows in some big designing areas & with lots of the non-CAD using engineers.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

im on a hp which i like only because it runs faster then a windows box, meaning i dont have all the other crap on my hp box.i think the big reason gm went away from unix was cost. the difference between leasing a unix station and a winblows station are substantial.

designer gooroo
catia v4 & v5
unigraphics nx2
pro-e wildfire
ideas v10
autocad 2004

Sure it runs faster, but it costs twice as much. Also, if you're doing projects other than CAD, now you have to either emulate a Windows session or buy a PC just to run apps. In the long run, the speed difference isn't going to be substantial enough to warrant the cost. With the 3+ GHz processors, new graphics cards, gigs of RAM & SCSI hard drives, Windows machines can be quite competitive with UNIX. However, UNIX seems to be a bit more stable although when it crashes, it crashes hard.

I would have liked to have had the chance to run one of the Sun Sparc or Blade workstations back when I was using UNIX machines.

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back