Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UG NX3 CAM for B-Axis Mill Turn

Status
Not open for further replies.

bme0319

Bioengineer
Dec 7, 2004
US
There's an ad in this month's edition of Manufacturing Engineering magazine for NX3 which shows what appears to be simulation for a B-Axis Mill-Turn type machine.

We run UG NX2 in house and use it to program for 5-axis milling. We haven't made the jump to NX3 yet because our custom Grip utility doesn't work (that's another story).

We have a seat of Esprit to program and simulate our B-Axis (Mori Seiki MT) machine because UG CAM hasn't really supported (well) this type of milling.

Is anyone out there using UG NX3 CAM to program and/or simulate a B-Axis Mill/Turn?? How's it going?

PP

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Doesn't anyone find this a problem? I mean we're paying for a HIGH END cam system, yes I do use NX3. Yet it does not support or do well, even the easiest of multi-axis toolpaths. I mean sequential mill is still used as a toolpath generator. This type of tool path genration went out with older systems like Encode. Where are the real, powerful, multi-axis toolpaths like those offered in other systems?

BTW I do think the design end of NX is the balls, it is, I think, quite difficult if not impossible to find a more powerful design system.

How much $$$ a in maintenance fees for a not quite ready for prime time CAM system. I can't believe we got snookered into purchasing this CAM software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back