Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UG Parts List

Status
Not open for further replies.

snow1440xx

Mechanical
May 26, 2004
US
Simple question I'm hoping someone can answer.
With UG Parts Lists, what is the preferred method for callout numbers..meaning..do most let the program automatically assign a number or do you manually control the number yourself?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks guys, I was just wondering also if one way had an advantage over the other. Some people I know are having problems with automatic numbers because of adding parts shifts sometimes numbers out of order and a pain to readjust the list. I'm wondering if it's easier with manual numbers.

The shift maybe caused by your sort method. After we create the inital release of the drawing with the BOM as we want, we freeze the list. When adding new parts to the assembly, they go above the inital list.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Ben is right. When you have the list as you want it, lock it. If you add components that you want somewhere in the locked list, unlock it, adjust and relock it.

I have been using my own attributes for part numbering
due to the problems of maintaining the list after release too but I didn't know you could lock a list. How is this
done?

Thanks in advance....

What version of UG are you on? it is different in V18, NX and maybe again in NX3. Parts list has changed functionality after V18, which is what we use.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

I'm running NX3..... I found the lock function....
Mouse over columns and right click to menu w/lock option on it. I may try the callouts on the next job.

When initially building the parts list.... Can you sort on another field (say mat'l) and regenerate the callouts numbers so they flow properly again? ... 1,2,3,4 instead of
8,4,7,2 etc...

Thanks in advance Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back