Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UG Spreadsheet (EXCELL)Tabular notes 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MARKONZ

Aerospace
Jan 6, 2003
US
Does anyone know how to get the formatting of
the spreadsheet to stat intact when using Tabular
notes?. If I create a tabular note in excell and
place it on the drawing... When I go back to edit
it, All formatting is lost. Very frustrating, seems
like it would be a good tool if it worked.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Me too, this is not a problem with V16, but it certainly is in V18. Does anyone know of alternate forms (i.e. GRIP programs) of creating tablular notes? In our case, we are in need of creating point tables for insert locations in honeycomb panels. Does anyone have a source of GRIP libraries on the 'net? Thanks!

I was wondering if there was any kind of setting to set what software is used for table editing such as using notepad or Microsoft word which are not grid based and could show merged cells in tables.

I'm currently using Tabular Notes and agree that there are many areas for improvement. I have a few workarounds that I'll list in case you want to try them.

For the table size issue there is an auto-size Cells option that is on the options menu in the linked spreadsheet. If you uncheck that it will help with table size on Drawing but excel row heights change unexpectedly. With options you can also change text format and size and chose whether or not to show grid lines. I've used this method with associative trimmed curves that will update if table size changes.

The other method is a bit more parametric and that is to make a sketch in the Drawing using the sketcher and add dimensions and equal length constraints to control size.

Michael
[pc3]

There are settings in the ug_*.def files for how UG treats fonts and character size when placing the taular note on the drawing.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Also in the spreadsheet, under Options-->Tabular Note Options you can specify your font mapping and other items. That may be all you need to do. It is possible, even though Excel usually will warn you, that you have two spreadsheet fonts set to be the same UG font/size, and when you return to the spreadsheet, your formatting has been lost.
-Derek

How do you control row height in tabular notes? I've got it laid out how I want, I just want to change the height on the header.
-Al

put ur cursor on the grid line . Double arrow cursor comes on. Drag the grid line to where you want. Let it go.
fsi

I tried that in the spreadsheet and nothing happened. When I put the cursor on the gridlines in drafting, I didn't get any arrows. What command are you in when you do this?
Al

Change the text height.

You can try to change the row height in Excel, as described, but I don;t think any of the special formatting commands, row height, column width, cell merge, come trough when you apply the changes and reteun to UG.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

No, they don't carry over. It's not that big of a deal, but it would be nice to be able to adjust row height in a tabular note.

Al Griego
Mech. Designer
Hamilton Sunstrand

PS:
Are you in San Diego, Ben? Just wondering in regards to your tagline.

No, My tag line is from a report on PTC Pro/E Wildfire.

Corporate has 'forced' us to switch from UG.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

Make sure the Auto-size cells box is unchecked under Options + Tabular Note Options... when in the Excel spreadsheet. You should now be able to change the row heights, column widths and font sizes. One note of warning though, if you're using V18 UG will automatically reformat the tables with arbutraiy(sp?) heights and widths each time you open the drawing. Does anyone know if this has been fixed in NX?

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back