Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ug to Catia back to Ug

Status
Not open for further replies.

thixoguy

Automotive
Feb 2, 2006
CA
Hello all,

I am tool designer who worked with UG in the past (I last worked with NX2 about 3 years ago). My most recent job had me using Catia V5 and I became quite proficient. I found it best during my transition to try to "forget" how I did things in UG and concentrate more on how to do things in Catia.

I recently lost my job and, ideally, I am seeking a position where I can continue to utilize Catia. However, I have come across some jobs that are asking for UG experience and, like most people have, bills to pay so I have applied.

My question therfore is this, I am sure there are others who have had similar experiences and I am interested as to how they found the transition? Now I firmly believe that while I am a little "rusty" I should eventually get back up to speed.

Also, how would you handle dealing with employers when they want you to hit the ground running? What is a reasonable time that I might request to allow me to get back up to speed?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

thixoguy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I doubt if you'll hit the ground running since NX has changed quite a bit since NX2, but that will really depend on the version your employer-to-be is using. Don't get me wrong, many of the basics are still there, but many little things that can drive you insane are now different in NX5.

I would be very honest with any employers. Just tell them you have experience with NX but may need a bit of time to get re-aquainted with it since you haven't used it in a couple of years. Since you haven't been away from it very long, I would expect you to pick it up rather quickly....especially if the employer has invested in CAST and/or the documentation.

Just my .02.... :)

Tim Flater
Senior Designer
Enkei America, Inc.

Some people are like slinkies....they don't really have a purpose, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

nkwheelguy,

I'm not really sure what version they are on, but none the less, you make some good points.

Thank you kindly for your input

thixoguy

I have experienced this a couple of times. I am a long time UG user. Then I went to Catia V4, back to UG, then to Pro-E, then to Catia 5, Now I am back on UGNX2. nkwheelguy is right, just be honest with your supv and tell him "well I've been on catia for the past x years, but it wont take me long to get back on the horse." And usually you can turn to a co-worker and say "hey charley! where did they move the spline command/icon." Sometimes i still look for a catia v4 command and have to stop and think a minute to remember what it is in UG. Good luck with your new Job.

As far as a reasonable time goes, can usually be back up to full speed in a week (2 weeks with Pro-E LOL)

Hey Jetsetter,

I have an interview in about a week and a half and will be honest with the potential employer as both you and nkwheelguy have suggested. It appears you have been in a similar predicament in the past and have succesfully transitioned, several times.

Come to think of it I suppose it's a pretty good predicament to be in. I have the UG experience, and in a few weeks I should be "galloping" again. Now I just have to convince them of that.

Thanks for the input

thixoguy

One of the things that I appreciate about UG is the support of most legacy operations. The only thing you really have to learn to be productive is where they put the commands. You can then pick up new methodology without seriously effecting your productivity.

Hey jackk,

Unfortunately, I am still out of work. The interview I had went quite well but I didn't pursue it any further as a second company was actively courting me and that job seemed more appealing. Well they ended up "stringing" me along for a while and in the end that job didn't materialise either.

I have now learned (the hard way) that unless they give you something in writing you should always keep looking.
I think there is a saying that "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush?"..... lesson learned [sad]

thanks for asking
thixoguy

Sorry to hear you're still looking...

I suppose you came here for CAD tips and got some to begin with. The judgment call I would make is all about what you're confident with and would be happy doing. Getting a job is first and foremost a confidence trick. If you go in with sub standard knowledge of the latest NX but want to come back to that CAD system for the challenge of it then you'll be able to sell your engineering experience with confidence in your ability to pick it up the CAD system quickly enough. The changes you'll encounter aren't so daunting that you need be afraid to take them head on if you have solid previous NX experience. If on the other hand you never really developed a preference for UG over Catia then you may struggle to make that conversion with enthusiasm, and you'll probably struggle with pulling off the confidence trick that it takes to get yourself hired. If you're honest with yourself you'll know which category that you fall into and what to do about it.

If you really want to get back into UG then by hook or by crook get yourself in front of a computer with NX-5 on it and put in some hours familiarizing yourself to build you confidence. One good way to do this might be to approach companies with a proposal that you'd like to do some work experience one month for nix, with their option to employ thereafter. At the very least you'll get the exposure back into using NX. I know this may seem far fetched but we had a fellow who approached us with the very same proposal and we eventually kept him on for a couple of years until he decided to jump ship to a better job.

Good Luck

Hudson

hudson888,

It's thixoguy, I can't seem to log on with my handle so I set up another one (petman), don't ask.

Anyways, I want to thank you for your insightful words, they are very well put.

The UG job, unfortunately, did not materialize so I am still looking. Your idea regarding the "...one month for nix" is something I may have to consider.

Thanks again,

petman

hudson888,

Just a quick update regarding my employment situation. I approached a company with an offer to work for "nix" for a couple of weeks. They agreed and have since taken me on in a contract basis. The work is a little outside my field of experience but they are willing to show me the ropes and it could eventually lead to a fulltime position.

Just wanted to say thanks for the tip.

regards
petman aka thixoguy

Thanks for the follow-up and good luck to for being willing to put yourself out there and take on a challenge. I admire your courage for doing so. If only more people had your work ethic... [2thumbsup]

Best Regards

Hudson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back