Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ug wiring (nx1 and beyond)

Status
Not open for further replies.

claireandmabel

Automotive
Apr 23, 2003
US
Is anyone using this tool in the real world to create harnessess? Does it work well? What issues have you experienced with it?
Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Never heard of it. Is this a new tool in UG? I would like to try it out also since I took several days to do just a simple harness of 6 wires and it is still not easily modified.

[sad]

UG Wiring is a subset of the UG Routing Application. You may need a separate license to access this application. The routing appication has piping,conduit, raceway, wiring and other subsets within it.

UG Wiring utilizes netlists from 2d schematic packages to facilitate wire connections and routing. It has been implemented in various forms since version 17. It is similiar to various PWB programs.

In automotive, we had an application called UG Harness previous to UG Wiring. If I can fill in any more info, please let me know.

As with alot of UG stuff, the demos are great but as you point out in the real world things are different.
The first I saw of it was when UGS demo'd UG Harness to us as showed how the Door Electrical systems of the '95 Cavalier/Vectra were developed using Harness. It didn;t work very well. I have also seen the same issues with Pro-Cabler and Pro-Harness too.
The amount of data you need before you start with both these systems is immense, there are other systems such as Vesys or Capital H which are used within the Harness industry which can create intelligent data and export to UG via dxf or similar.

I have heard of a few companies that are starting to use nx2 for wiring and routing, they are using 2D software to generate circuit diagrams, these produce netlists which are imported into UG Wiring and Routing. As pointed out by one of the other posts Wiring Harness Manufacturers need very detailed drawings to produce the wiring harnesses accurately and efficiently. The ones I have seen typically run some of the VeSys software to produce the 2D circuit and harness drawings these output the .hrn and .cmp files that are used by UG.
There websites may contain more information.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back