Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UGII files importing-sw says"unknown error opening **.prt

Status
Not open for further replies.

borsht

Mechanical
Oct 9, 2002
US
I'm trying to import some ugII files, and since the extension is the same as solidworks files it acts as if it's trying to open a solidworks native file rather than import a ug file. Is there anything special I need to do to convert these files into sw 2008? I'm pretty sure that I've converted UG's in the past with no problem.

Any feed back is appreciated
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When you try to open the part, are you changing your file type to UGII in the 'Files of type' window through File->Open.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP, Certified DriveWorks AE
CAD Administrator, Ultimate Survival Technologies
My Blog

same issue, I did the same thing with *.asm file that came with these files. I also tried them with selecting PRO-e file type with the same results. In the zip file that I recieved from my customer, was a file with a *.pkg file. I havent encountered that before. does that file shine any light in this issue?

When I used I-DEAS (before it got rolled into UG/NX), a .pkg file was used to transfer data from one PDM installation to another and maintain the same library relationships / ownership. That doesn't help your problem with importing the files other than to confirm that you are dealing with data from some form of Siemens PLM product.

I remember that the "pkg" extension means it was probably created on a Mac, i don't think windows can unzip it without a third party program. Try Googling the extension!

Trevor Clarke. (R & D) Scientific Instruments.Somerset. UK

SW2009x64 SP2.1 Pentium P4 3.6Ghz, 4Gb Ram ATI FireGL V7100 Driver: 8.323.0.0
SW2009x32 SP1.1 Pentium P4 3.6Ghz, 2Gb Ram NVIDIA Quadro FX 500 Driver: 6.14.11.7751

I'm trying to import some ugII files, and since the extension is the same as solidworks files...
I thought UGII files had a .prt or .asm extension.

it acts as if it's trying to open a solidworks native file
And what happens? Does it return an error message?

Can you post a sample UGII part to experiment with?

I think you may need to jump into the wayback machine for a second for this one. You are correct for solidworks 2005 and after, but if you hit open, and look at the files of type: dialogue box you'll see that for assembly files it says (*.asm, *.sldasm), and for part files it says Part (*.prt, *.sldprt). I think that before sw2005 the solidworks extensions were different than now.

The error is this:
Unknown error opening c:\directory\defroster.prt.

All Unigraphics/NX files have .prt as an extension.
Windows does hijack that extension to SolidWorks when installed on a computer which already has UG installed.

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

Are you sure this is a UG file? There are other programs out there that also use .prt as an extension (CadKey for one). I don't think this is a UG part.

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

We had not had much trouble opening NX files in SW 2008, but every now and then we will come across one that won't open. We have never come across a UG file that won't open in NX.
This file will not open in NX, leaving me to believe it is not a UG file, but one from a different system (CadKey, ProE, ?).

It must be a mystery file...

That wouldn't explain the NX error message stating that it is not an NX/UG part file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back