Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UGII files importing-sw says"unknown error opening **.prt

Status
Not open for further replies.

borsht

Mechanical
Oct 9, 2002
US
I'm trying to import some ugII files, and since the extension is the same as solidworks files it acts as if it's trying to open a solidworks native file rather than import a ug file. Is there anything special I need to do to convert these files into sw 2008? I'm pretty sure that I've converted UG's in the past with no problem.

Any feed back is appreciated
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My guess is that UG11 is a very old Unigraphics file, before UGV10.
For for UGV10 versions and above solids became the standard way to make a part. Prior to that (15+ years ago) 3D wireframe and surfaced wireframe was the way to go.
I assume that SW had a hard time dealing with all the curves and surfaces in the model.

UG11 is actually UGII, and the term is still used in the software. It has nothing to do with the version.
NX should have no problem opening pre V10 files (or any version, as that is one of their bragging points).

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

Which is why I question whether it is a UG file at all (see my post from 20 Apr 09 10:20).

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back