Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UGNX10 Arrangements within the same component in an assembly

Status
Not open for further replies.

nkward

Automotive
Feb 7, 2013
US
Ok, basically I have a suspension assembly and the shocks have arrangements of different lengths. I want to look at the suspension with one side showing a different arrangement than the other side, but when I change arrangements in one side, the other changes as well.
How do I make these independent?

Edit: Maybe the correct question is, how do I make these display independent arrangements using 2 of the same component assembly, within an assembly? I'm hoping there's a setting I can toggle and it will solve the problem.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You might have better luck using the option to "Override Constraints" in your two, albeit the same but different, sub-assemblies.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Couldn't you just make a separate arrangement that has the components in the locations you want and just save that as a whole new arrangement rather than one or the other.

will-eng, that's exactly what I have.

Maybe I should explain more.

Here's my structure minus a bunch of other parts:
- Main suspension assembly
-- RH Assembly
--- Shock with arrangements
--- Other parts
-- LH Assembly
--- Shock with arrangements
--- Other parts

What I can't do is show these shocks with different arrangements at the same time. However, I have been able to do this in another assembly before, but I don't know how to make these display 2 different arrangements while working in the main assembly.

Edit: For example, I currently have this open right now, but the front shock arrangements change together rather than only changing the arrangement of the selected shock, while the rear operates independent.

Vehicle assembly
- Main suspension assembly
-- Front suspension
--- RH Assembly
---- Front Shock with arrangements
---- Other parts
--- LH Assembly
---- Front Shock with arrangements
---- Other parts
-- Rear suspension
--- RH Assembly
---- Rear Shock with arrangements showing arrangement A
---- Other parts
--- LH Assembly
---- Rear Shock with arrangements showing arrangement B
---- Other parts

Are the shock assembly files the same assembly with just two arrangements. And you are using the same assembly file in four seperate assemblies (RF, RR, LF, LR)?

Or is it two seperate assebly files Front and rear. And then you are using the same Front assembly in on the left and right.
Doing this will try to use the same arrangement on both left and right.

Maybe try this. Right click on the RH assembly. Go to properties > then to the parameters tab. Make sure that the check box for Individually Positioned is selected.

Not sure if this will fix it for you.

Or if they are 4 seperate assemblies all with seperate arrangments specific to RF, RR, LF, LR.
If you save into four separate assemblies and create different arrangements for each assembly it should do exactly what you want.

I figured it out, the rear shock is directly in the RH and LH assemblies, whereas the front shock is in a shock assembly with the spring, and that shock assembly is in the RH and LH assemblies.
So, it makes sense now, not sure how I didn't see this. I'm changing the arrangement in the same assembly in the front, but in the rear I'm changing the arrangement in 2 separate assemblies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back