Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UGNX4 - Number Pad Causes Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Singsonite

Automotive
May 5, 2011
US
Hello all.

All of the Workstations my company have been upgraded to Windows 7. All of the workstations have NX4 and NX6 loaded on them. Almost all of my co-workers are still using NX4. Half of them have a problem where every time they use the keyboard number pad, it causes NX4 to crash.

Does anybody know of a fix for this?

Thanks,

John B. Conger
Tool Design
Automotive Interiors
Advanced Engineering Solutions Inc.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You did a mass upgrade with no testing?

NX4 was out for quite a while before Win7 was released. Anything in Win7 that may be causing the crash would not have been caught by Siemens as NX7 was out by that time (or close to being released).

Have you loaded the latest MP/MR for NX4?

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

What are they using the 'number pad' for? I ask because with NX, at least up until NX 5.0, the 'number pad' could be used in many places as if it were a 'PFK' and thus would allow you to select menu and dialog options without using the mouse. Now if they're using it for numerical entry into dialogs and you're having problems, that definitely should be reported to GTAC, even though NX 4.0 is technically off maintenance this is something that we need to be aware of and perhaps someone can look into this further. However, if it only occurs when in the 'PFK' mode I suspect that nothing will be done since technically NX 4.0 was never intended to support Windows 7 (how could it) and this support for this scheme was effectively removed in NX 5.0.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Never seen this issue before until today. I've just tested on my system (Win 7 64bit, NX4.0.4.2 MP10) and it happens only in drafting when I try and enter numbers using the num keypad.

All I can say is that NX4, NX5 and NX6 are now off active support from GTAC as well as NX4 not being supported for Windows 7. All I can suggest is to try GTAC but I don't think you'll have much luck.

Anthony Galante
Technical Resource Coordinator

NX4.0.4MP10, NX5.0.0->5.0.6, NX6.0.0->NX6.0.5, NX7.0.0->NX7.0.1 & NX7.5.0.32-> NX7.5.4.4, Beta NX8.0.0.25

looslib,

I believe we are running the latest and gratest for NX4 (Win 7 64bit, NX4.0.4.2 MP9). We did do testing for the NX4 on Windows 7, and all checked out on the first 2 workstations we upgraded. After that, it was hit or miss for having this issue.

JohnRBaker,

The number pad is being used for numerical entry only. I will report the issue to GTAC, and see if I can get help with this issue.

namdaci45,

We get the issue in modeling and in drafting. The number key that causes the crash is completely random on only 1/2 of the workstations affected.

Thank you all for taking an interest. I appreciate your recommendations.

John B. Conger
Tool Design
Automotive Interiors
Advanced Engineering Solutions Inc.

"completely random on only 1/2 of the workstations"

Are all the workstations to the same spec: processor chip, speed, bios, memory, graphics card, etc?

You may have a hardware issue being incompatible with the software.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

There used to be an issue (which I have still seen in recent times) where the Microsft Intellimouse driver would bring NX crashing down. Try removing the mouse and keyboard drivers on those systems (they aren't required except for extra buttons).

Anthony Galante
Technical Resource Coordinator

NX4.0.4MP10, NX5.0.0->5.0.6, NX6.0.0->NX6.0.5, NX7.0.0->NX7.0.1 & NX7.5.0.32-> NX7.5.4.4, Beta NX8.0.0.25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back