Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UGNX9 customizing roles/icon layout 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Berserk

Automotive
Jan 23, 2003
CA
Hello,

I have saved a role from nx8.5 and when I try to load it in nx9, the icons does not show up the right way. I am missing a lot of icons.

I am trying to re-create it and it is time consuming since I have to drag and drop one icon at a time. I used to just turn on a toolbar and then edit that toolbar to show the available icons.

Also on nx9, how do I add more than one column of icons in the Left Border Bar?

I like to have all those icons one click away and also to have them on the left and up.
I do not want to be moving the mouse all over the screen such as bottom and right borders.
This just spread the icons too far to each other.

UGNX 8 / 8.5 / 9 - Windows 7 64bit
Productive Design Services
www.productivedesign.com

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=92ed6382-daad-4e98-9d45-7539ed68c79f&file=nx9_icons.JPG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I wanted to have more than one row in the left border bar too but I do not think it's possible. At least I have not found a way to do it yet.

Mike

Is there a way to create new toolbars? Not the ribbons.
If not... is there a way to make the ribbon icons smaller? The only options I get is medium and large.

UGNX 8 / 8.5 / 9 - Windows 7 64bit
Productive Design Services

When you have the Customize window open, right-click and hold on an icon in the Ribbon Bar. You'll see options for changing the size of the icons and with/without text.

Be warned though that small is small. Personally I would like to see a Large Without Text option.

The toolbars I can't help you with.

Mike

For NX 10.0 we will have 4 icon sizes for the Ribbon, Small (like now), Medium (new), Large (like now) and Extra Large (new). The three smaller sizes you can have them with or without text (including the Large icons) while the Extra Large will only come without text.

As for the Border Bars, it doesn't make any difference which one, they will only support a single row of icons.

Note that while it's still possible to revert to the 'Classic Toolbars' (like in NX 8.5 and earlier versions of NX) in both NX 9.0 and NX 10.0, starting with NX 11.0 that option will no longer be there, it will be Ribbon ONLY.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I don't mind the Ribbon set to Large (from the Customization dialog) then right click on each icon that is in the Ribbon and set it to small and no text - for commands with which I am familiar - the ones which aren't familiar, I opt to make a Gallery and display small icon and text.

Happy to see there will be Medium option for the ribbon - not sure why that got left out to begin with.

John,

Would it be very practical to have a right click option for the lower right corner of the Groups on the Ribbon that would set ALL icon sizes in that specific group to a particular size rather than being forced to size them one at a time? I found it VERY cumbersome trying to get my interface the way I felt it would be best suited for me. Granted, I hope to only have to do this once, but if the backup .mtx file fails me (lost, deleted, corrupted) I'm losing some serious time putting it back together.

Also, I found .tbr files very handy because it captured a small piece of my interface that I could share with another user rather than the whole thing (via .mtx file) - any suggestions on how to accomplish this or if there are plans to say make a Tab or a Group a text-based file somehow? I've yet to delve too deeply into this, so forgive me if in-depth customization has been covered before.

Thanks.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 9.0.2.5 Win7 Pro x64 SP1
Intel Xeon 2.53 GHz 6GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2GB

Call GTAC, they have a document showing how you can first use your old .men and .tbr files with the NX 9.0 ribbons as well as use some new file schemes for ribbons, galleries and so on, so that you can what you've done in the past only now with a Ribbon interface.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Instead of using the ribbon bar, I created "menu's" and docked them below the ribbon bar, collapsed and only use the ribbon in isolated incidents, till I can modify my menus to my liking. I find that the menus with the ribbon is the most compact version of NX9. please see jpg to see my custom menus below the ribbon bar. In the jpg, I have the "more" tabs from the standard groups docked on the left, and custom galleries docked on the right as migrating to the new interface, I didn't quite know how I wanted the new interface to work for me to be the most efficient.

Hope that helps....

Al

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=92aba6b6-aa0c-47e4-84cf-28697d181190&file=screenmode004.jpg
Whatever floats your boat.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Digital Factory
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back