Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UHX Tubesheet thickness

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeG7

Mechanical
Jun 6, 2012
ZA
Hi. The tubesheet calculation in Part UHX determines the thickness to be sufficient based on the pressure, temperature and other loadings.

My question is that I have come across a statement in PD 5500 if anyone is familiar with the BS codes that says that for expanded tubes the thickness should not be less than the OD of the tube less corrosion allowance, blah, blah.

This obviously is to ensure sufficient engagement for a good expanded joint and would be a minimum thickness requirement.

Is there such a condition in Part UHX that I must be aware of or am I checking only based on the stresses for the design conditions?

I appreciate any feedback.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

MikeG, apparently no required minimum, see defination of "ltx", "rho" (I think) UHX-11.3

Regards,

Mike

Dear MikeG7,

Please refer UHX-4 - Note of ASME Sec VIII Div -1, there code says that if tubesheet thickness is less than the OD of tubes then designer has to consider the deflection..

Bmechz

Fellas, I get it now.
Thanks for your replies.

If someone does design considering expansion ratio per UHX, it gives lesser tubesheet thickness than zero expansion ratio (strength welded joint without expansion.

This was for just information and I disn't understand fully the question...Sorry!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back