UL-142 Aboveground Tank - Dimensional tolerance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raouf Messaoudi

Petroleum
Dec 9, 2020
TN
Hello guys,

During the dimensional inspection of aboveground tanks manufactured to UL-142, I found a difficulty to determine the tolerance (or precision) required for each dimension.
Is there a standard to be met? which define the tolerance for the measurements I took and the dimensions in the drawing.

I look forward to hearing from you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suggest that you repost in the "Storage Tank Engineering" forum.....

I do not believe that there is an industry standard to be met for dimensional tolerances of UL-142 tanks

Dimensional tolerances should have been included in the purchase contract for your tank

Furthermore, I suggest that you research the API-650 Storage Tank dimensional tolerances, which have been discussed many times on these fora

This might help ..

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Raouf Messaoudi,

Do you have a drawing? What standard are you inspecting to? How are you defining what an acceptable tank is?

--
JHG

Hello,

Thank you MJCronin for your reply and the link you sent, unfortunately I have no requirement for dimensional tolerances in the ITP nor in the purchase contract, but in the dimensional inspection report of the tank I have to mention it and indicate the tolerances.

@drawoh:
I performed the dimensional inspection according to the drawing of the tank, it's a rectangular tank for chemicals, will undergo PT inspection for all external welds, visual inspection for all internal welds, and hydrostatic strength test as final inspection according to ITP.

Raouf Messaoudi, apparently it is up to you to define tolerances. If the tank is otherwise satisfactory, set tolerances so that the subject tank meets them and get on with life :)

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Raouf Messaoudi,

If somebody fabricated a tank for you, there is contact documentation out there that defines what they were to accomplish. That must contain tolerances. Your vendor is not responsible for tolerances he was not told to achieve.

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back