Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UL Listing 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkees

Electrical
Jun 5, 2006
US
Some folks at my place of employment have become concerned about the modification/ additions we are making to our products. Our product is UL listed, we often modify it per customer specifications. This may involve the addition of breaker and enclosure, for which both our product and the additions have to be modified. This modification applies to the sheet metal enclosures, cutting, drilling, and such. Can anyone provide advise, or a reliable reference?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If my understanding of the rules is correct (and I'm by no means a UL expert), any changes you make to the electrical safety, EMC component, or enclosure, requires a recertification. Depending upon the type of modification, certification may be available by an in-house visit.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

What kind of product?
What type of UL listing?

If you list under UL508A - Industrial Control Panels then you follow certain rules to make a control panel. If you list under UL508 - Industrial Control Equipment then you can only build what's listed in your file.

Advice?
Call your UL rep.
Go to a UL seminar - someone at your plant should have a better understanding of what you need to do to maintain your UL listing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back