Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UL style cables question

Status
Not open for further replies.

homoly

Electrical
Jun 11, 2007
SK
Hello,

I would like to ask you which parameters are given by UL XXX marking in the case of UL style cables. I am from overseas and it is not 100% for me the system of this marking.

For example for UL 1015 style cable I can tell from my limited resources that it is manufactured in AWG 30 - 2000 MCM range, maximum voltage 600V, Max temperature 105C with 0.030 inch PVC insulation. Which additional parameters are given by this marking ( f.e. flexible service, core stranding, spark test, flammability test, etc. )?

Where could I find differences between varios types of UL style cables and its subcategories ( MTW, AWM .. )?

I would ask if somebody know if there are UL standards to smoke density and dark fumes emission during burning ( equivalents for EN 50268, IEC 61034 ).

Thank you for answers.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

UL proudly says that they have office everywhere. Do you know if they have one in your country. If they do, their customer service person may guide you in how to get this information. Do not expect it to be free though.

If you know the UL File number, which begins with the letter E you may be able to locate the desired information from their public web page.

There are two different UL search directories. One on the main UL site and another, maintained seperately on their standards. On the main UL site, you won't find information on things standards Ul 1015, only on public listings that being with E- (take a look at a piece of wire and you will see an E-xxxxxx number on it.

If you are a UL customer that has active projects with them to obtain listings, you now get on line download access to all of their published standards.

I think instead of concrete standards I would prefer some book(s) in the beginning for the basic overview. Could you recommend me something dealing with cables and wiring on machines you have already read or have a recommendation colleagues?

Is the purpose of an external bond/ground on electrical equipment just another precaution, as there is usually an internal ground in the conduit leading to the equipment, or what I'm asking is ths really necessary? Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back