Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

ultrasonic antifouling. Is it effective ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjsmarine

Marine/Ocean
Feb 8, 2003
CA
I have been asked about ultrasonic antifouling , Its effectivness, cost and otherwise.
having never even heard about it before am now curious about the process.
Im hopeing for some info. about ultrasonic antifouling.
The theory , good points , bad points , any experance`s with it, applications - ships - smaller pleasure boats , Anything really

Thanks
Bob

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks berkshire
Nice to have suspicion confirmed.
All I could find was lots advertising and a few questions.
Cloa`s point Im sure.

For over a $1000. system may be good for giving clams a headache.

Thanks for your time. As a tech. as opposed to engineer I have more questions than answers.
Again
Thanks
Bob

I am currently talking to a local university who have been doing tests on anti fouling to see if they are interested in doing a study on this.
There are currently 4 manufacturers, 2 sound reasonable and will tell you the shortcomings as well as the advantages of their equipment. Their stuff is over $3000.
The other 2 tell you their equipment is the best thing since sliced bread, and sound like genuine dyed in the wool snake oil salesmen.
B.E.

Several companies tried to market this BS to the US Navy several times over the past several decades.
For numerous reasons, it's a non-starter.

Bear in mind these points before you invest a dime:
- what evidence is there that the frequency the equipment operates at works for a wide range of fouling organisms?
- what thickness of plating are you interested in protecting from fouling?
- how many transducers, and what power would be necessary to protect your application (assuming it works)
- SPECIFICALLY, how much noise may be generated.

When I asked a company's "technical representative" these questions over 20 years ago, the responses were something like:
- "the governor's wife says it works good, what more do you want"
- "it's not that noisy up in the cabin"

Of course, they were marketing to the US Navy, where sailors work and sleep below the water line!

There is probably info available on the open internet; try searching for: sonic-hull tender; accoustic anti-fouling, and UNDS.

//mjs

After digging around with this stuff for a while, I found that there is a company in South Carolina that makes equipment comparable in effectiveness to the European systems for less cost.
The original use was to destroy green pond scum for fish farms ( Fresh water.)
Conclusions: the equipment works somewhat, it is highly directional,and accessories under the boat like prop shafts and struts will shade areas leaving incomplete coverage.
The equipment is more effective if not mounted on the boat.
Best bet seems to be mounting the transducers around the periphery of a slip.
Right now the cost benefit ratio appears to tilt in favor of anti-fouling paint.
B.E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back