Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ultrasonic cleaning, or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobWard

Industrial
Nov 7, 2001
GB
One of our machines mixes polyurethane using a "turbine".
During a day's production a build up of product occurs. The turbine is soaked overnight in methylene chloride (dichloromethane) whick softens the polyurethane but doesnt remove it. The turbine is a complicated shape and hard to clean. Does anyone have any experience of ultrasonic cleaning: can you use any solvent with it, can you build your own equipment or is it best to buy off the shelf, is there a better solution I should be looking at.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Rob,

If your part is very large, then ultrasonic might not be the best idea. We've looked at utilizing ultrasonic cleaners and we've found that they'll do an excellent job on cleaning a part . . . but it had to be a relatively small part. In order to ultrasonically clean a part, it has to have a tank larger than the largest part you want to clean. Another alternative you might want to consider is dry-ice blasting. We have tried this too and it works extremely well. And dry-ice would defintely be easier to handle from an EPA-point of view. Hope that helps :)

JeffdlS

Dear Rob,
You might wont to try Hi pressure hydrublasting with a gun at 30,000 psi to 36,000 psi.
we use hydrublasting to cleen big solid chunks of polymers
& it works fast & wonderfull. Their are so many hydroblasting cleaning companeys that would be very pleased to demonstrate their fast cleaning capabiliteis.
Regards,

Thank you for your replies. We have now sourced a solvent mix which seems to dissolve the build up overnight without the need for any agitation.
Thanks again. "I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go past." Douglas Adams

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back