Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

UltraSonic Level Sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

justint

Electrical
Aug 17, 2007
GB
Hi does any one know of a competitively priced Ultrasonic level sensor that will provide a 4-20mA, 0-5v or 0-10v output for use in a PLC?

The sensor application is for waste water and will be used on sump tanks of max depth 10 metres.

Thanks

Justint

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try ISA.ORG to locate an instrument vendor directory.

Look for Sensall or Kay-Ray/Sensall for ultrasonic level instruments. I found that their point level switches worked OK. I avoid point level these days prefering continuous level as you describe.

Many of us use RADAR instead of ultrasonic level instruments. Ohmart/Vega is competitive.

I bought one that shoots 40' (choices are 20' or 40') for $1,100 USD about 3 months ago.

We already had the Milltronics Siemens handheld IR programmer unit which costs $100.

If it is a wastewater lift station you may want to look at a Radar unit they have dropped in price dramatically to a point where they are competitive with Ultrasonic. Wastewater lift stations have a tendency to have a layer of foam or grease and the Radar unit will outperform Ultrasonic in that environment. Siemens has a 2 wire unit LR-200 I believe is the model, I have a few mounted in tanks that have a layer of foam with no incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back