Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ultrasonic transceiver small size

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayLau

Industrial
Mar 10, 2005
HK
Hi,

I'm trying to find a company where I can buy
small low power ultrasonic transceivers (to use in distance measurement) small as in < 10 mm
- measurement of short distances

tried google, but can't find anything

Anybody can help me

Thx in advance

Jay

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hmm try just ultrasonic sensors. I have seen several because looking for one myself (complete unit though). If the distances are small, depending on the targets material, a capacitive or inductive prox sensor might be better.

to buzzp:

the sensor i want to use is actually for inside the body.
CO2-gas environment, and soft tissue

are capacitive or inductive prox sensors also suitable for that? and where can i find them.

to Efp:

I'm really trying to search for sensors smallers than 10 mm
low power

thx
jay

This sensor is to go in a human? or is "body" meaning some other body?
Capacitive or inductive sensors can be used on certain non-conductive materials. This may present some problems as the medium between the plates is not air any more but human juices. I am sure they would still be feasible. I assume your going to design this from scratch. I can't help you with a company that has products for use in a human body. Some of the common mfgs of these products, for industrial uses, are Banner Engineering or Turck. I generally use the Thomas Register (online) to find specialty parts like it appears you need. Its free.

yes, it needs to go inside the human body (abdominal region)

sorry but what is MFGS?

Thank you for your info, I will try Thomas Register

thx

Jay

It also depends on the frequency you want to operate at and how much money you want to spend.

I have one I bought from commercial company which is 16mm diameter by 10mm long for example.

As the case is much larger than the ceramic/piezo I have also bought commercial sensors and removed the ceramic/piezo element from the case. In general the diameter is not much smaller but the depth may only be <2mm.

At the other end of the scale I have worked for a company that manufactured ceramics and I have seen transducers as small as 1mm in diameter, however the frequency of operation was quite high. So a company can manufacture a custom one for you, or may have one in their inventory. Obviously cost and leadtime will be an issue if you take this approach. (No the company I worked for won't do it.)

Remember that the frequency that you want to operate at will affect the resolution and range. I am also not sure what are "safe" frequencies you can apply to the human body.

regards
Pete
(TurboXS)

Hi

the frequency that I want to use is around 40 kHz purely for distance measuring, so no harm to the human body,
Low power also only a small range max of 10 cm

so how big can this be? because I really want to come close about 5 mm or less in diameter.

but if I use piezo? can I use it inside a body? moist etc?

Thank you for your time

Jay

For your application you will need a high-frequency piezo. Max measurement distance is inversly porporational to the frequency used. A 30 to 40 kHz piezo is what might be used to measure ocean depths of up to a thousand feet or more. Piezos used for pregancy ultrasound (a typical abdominal application) are typically in the 3 to 7 MHz range.

hmmm I purely want to measure distance during a laparoscopic surgery (CO2-gas in the abdominal area). So that is why I can't use 3-7 MHz, I really need to be in the kHz range.

so it is NOT ultrasonic imaging

Jay

So, this is through the air (CO2 in this case) and not a water medium.

Will the transducer be outside the abdomen making measurements through the abdomenal wall, or inside?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back