Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ultrasonic transmitter cable 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoKid

Computer
May 26, 2006
US
Hi folks,

I want to send 150v 0.4amp to a remote ultrasonic transducer that has 200 ohm impedance. The NPN driving ciruitry will be about 3-4' from the transducer housing. Digital circuitry will be nearby. What specific brand name/type cable would one recommend - it may bump or rub up against the operator. I was thinking about using in-wall audio speaker cable.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"...150v 0.4amp ... 200 ohm impedance..."

150/200 is 0.75A.

Cable probably not critical, but the operator should not be anywhere near 100 watts of audio, even if ultrasonic.

Current source to transducer is only 0.4a. Transducer can't draw more than what's available. Sounds like I am making an ultrasonic weapon more than a transmitter by your concern. I will ponder your concerns. Thanks for both replies.

GoKid!

"TIG welder"

To make sure it's clear: I'm more worried about the operators ears (100 watts of audio, even if ultrasonic) than his elbows (high voltage/power in a cable).

A few things to consider.

1. Transducer driving signals can be either a continuous signal or a pulsed signal. You may need to consider the effect the cable has the shape of the signal, particularly with sharp pulse envelopes.

2. Ultrasonic transducers are generally a capacitive load so the capacitance of the cable is important as it acts like a voltage divider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back