Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Unable to access Nastran results

Status
Not open for further replies.

diverblue

Mechanical
Jul 6, 2010
GB
Hi,

I am new to both Patran and Nastran so apologies if this is a fundamental question.

I have performed a simple analysis of a beam and selected output data as .op2. However, once Nastran has perfomed the required operation I cannot locate the output op2 file anywhere on my system. I have checked the native folder for my analysis work along with other possible folders.

I believe it may be a communication error between the two systems but my analysis log shows no evident errors and appears to run flawlessly.

Any suggestions as to why the results file is not being created? I am running 'Patran for Nastran 2010' and 'Nastran 2010.1'.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you checked your f06 file? This is the file with the printed results. If there is any error, it should be indicated in there.

How long does it take for Patran to tell you if Nastran is complete? If it is almost immediate, or very fast, then Nastran is probably not solving anything, and you won't get an op2/f06/xdb etc. You might check how long the "analysis.exe" (Nastran solver) runs on your system.

Please list the first 10 lines of your .bdf or .dat file. This will allow me to quickly rule out common errors.

Hi,

I´m new in Patran/Nastran MSC tools and I have the same problem as diverblue.

I set up the simulation in Patran2010 and when I click to run the code starts. After the dos prompt open and shows the message attached in picture.

I checked that no message "simulation done" is printed in command line and no xdb file is created. This way, I could not access to results.

My .bdf file

"$ NASTRAN input file created by the Patran 2010 input file translator on
$ January 26, 2012 at 23:22:11.
$ Direct Text Input for Nastran System Cell Section
$ Direct Text Input for File Management Section
$ Direct Text Input for Executive Control
$ Linear Static Analysis, Database
SOL 101
CEND
$ Direct Text Input for Global Case Control Data
TITLE = MSC.Nastran job created on 26-Jan-12 at 21:22:00
ECHO = NONE
SUBCASE 1
$ Subcase name : Default
SUBTITLE=Default
SPC = 2
LOAD = 2
DISPLACEMENT(SORT1,REAL)=ALL
SPCFORCES(SORT1,REAL)=ALL
STRESS(SORT1,REAL,VONMISES,BILIN)=ALL
BEGIN BULK
$ Direct Text Input for Bulk Data
PARAM POST 0
PARAM PRTMAXIM YES
$ Elements and Element Properties for region : prop
PSOLID 1 1 0
$ Pset: "prop" will be imported as: "psolid.1"
CTETRA 1 1 7264 107702 7265 4867 39103 39105
18975 68227 68228 68229"

Attached you can find the patran command line and dos prompt.

Can you help me to solve this problem?

I very much appreciate your help!
Thanks in advance.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=80750c77-b8c7-49e5-98b9-6a8871f4ef36&file=DOS_PROMPT.bmp
Hi lisa247,

Thank you very much for your reply. There is no files in 'temp'´folder in my har disk.

I suppose that no results files was created, probably because nastran does no started correctly, but i don't understand why.

If you could give me more tips, I appreciate.

Thanks in advance,
Ivan

Have you tried selecting the output data as .xdb instead of .op2?

How long does it take for Patran to tell you if Nastran is complete? If it is almost immediate, or very fast, then Nastran is probably not solving anything.

violingineer: That's not a good indication of success/failure with modern hardware. "A simple analysis of a beam" will take seconds to run. Likely more time will be spent on I/O than the actual calculations. :) In fact, small models that fail due to input errors sometimes take longer to execute than those that run successfully (due to the additional I/O overhead).

diverblue & aeroivan: Based on the screen shot and file snippet above, the result file (OP2 or XDB) should be in the same directory as the BDF and other files. Do you see other Nastran generated files with the same jobname (eg qui.log qui.f04, qui.f06, etc)?? I would expect to find all of the files in C:\MSC.Software\examples_ivan

If you still can't find your result file, examine the LOG and F04 (assuming they're available). The F04 will show the the name and path for EVERY file created during the Nastran run.

Have you contacted MSC support? They should be able to figure this out pretty quickly.

Aeroivan

I have the exact same issue as you. I've been using patran/nastran for a while and have recently started using a friend's laptop with the software on it. The laptop used to be able to produce result but now it just says exactly the same thing that your print screen says. The license files are still up to date and the configuration file for patran points to the correct solvers. I'm really not sure what the problem is.

Have you found a solution at all?

Kind Regards
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back