Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Unable to calibrate PTE-100-C Plus (EuroSMC) relay tester 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

razvann

Electrical
Mar 16, 2011
RO
Anyone familiar with this type of protective relay tester?
PTE-100-C Plus, made by Spanish company EuroSMC.

I have read the manual, but I'm unable to calibrate via software (FAA CAL 2.3.0). To be more specific, I have hooked a precise analog ammeter as load and adjusted the current by the tester's variac at 4 amps (the tester digital readout shows 4.3 amps). Did all the steps as described in the manual (or, maybe it's not clear enough), but the "Hold Reading" software button does not activate, so I cannot click it in order to calibrate the tester internal measurement (4.3 A -> 4 A).

Another question while we're at it, the software manual describes two very similar procedures, ADJUSTMENT and CALIBRATION. Apparently it's pretty much the same thing. Maybe the stupidest question for the day (I'm into electronics, thus somewhat a beginner in this field of power distribution), but WHY the two procedures?
Of course, cannot perform neither. :-(

Any thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

With regards to your comment regarding the difference between Adjustment and Calibration, there is a common misunderstanding regarding this.

Adjustment is the process on which you, comparing with an Standard, modifiy whichever parameters in the object to make it have the same reading than the Standard in a defined test point. Usually, the Adjustment consist in adjust 2 test points, one in the lower side of the range (< 10%) and one in the upper side of the range (>90%). In this way you are adjusting the Offset and the Slope respectively.

After an object has been Adjusted there is the Calibration process, which consist in the comparison of readings between the Standard and the test object, calculating the errors and checking if they are inside the available errors permitted in the spec of the test object, at each test point. The calibration do not imply any intervention on the test object. The Calibration test points are as many as the user choose to do, and the main target is to determine if the test object is inside the error range (or, in other words, the linearity of the measurement).
If the calibration indicates that one or more points are out of the spec, then an Adjustment process in needed. If not, nothing else should be done with the test object.

As a summary, Calibration not always implies Adjustment, however Adjustment always implies Calibration. And they are two different processes, with different actions and even test points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back