Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

unable to complete run with nonlinear contact (SOL601 NXN) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

engineerbe

Mechanical
Oct 15, 2010
NL
Hello Femap / Nastran users,

When using contact in an Advanced Nonlinear analysis (SOL601), I often have trouble to get convergence. At the moment I have a model of a circular ring that is seated in a shallow groove. The ring is pre-tensioned, so want to stay in the groove. Now I'm trying to push the ring out of the groove. This point, were the ring is forced sideways and the contact between groove and ring needs to change, is the problem. I have used small meshed, course meshes, changes parameters, contact definitions and of course small time steps and different convergence criteria.
I'm getting out of options and really would like to stop with this trial and error testing. "Didn't you read the manuals?" you would ask. I'm busy trying to find my way in all the manuals, but every time I found a possible helpful option, I've tried and did not succeed. I would really appreciate a 'best practice' workflow or advice on how to find what is bothering the solver.

Thanks in advance for all your tips.
Regards, Rob

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi trainguy,

Thanks for your reaction. I'm using NX Nastran, so the parameters mentioned in the Handbook aren't of much use. I looked in to the handbook though, to see if I can find any hints, but it's al the usual stuff.

I work at a reseller... but having knowledge of and experience with al functions of these kind of software is almost impossible.

Anyone else who can give some best practice tips on non linear contact with Femap + NX Nastran?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back