Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Unable to Re Install license on same machine after hard disk failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaniAndres

Mechanical
Feb 4, 2013
ES
Hi,
Yesterday our SSD where we have installed Win7 & UGS NX 8 made a fatal failure.
Unfortunately the Image Backup that we had it was not able to restore that mess and we had to re install the whole OS and UGS NX.
We had a separate copy of our Flex Lm license to prevent that situation but we are unable to make it run again.

We did not change any hardware, apart from the SSD, we set the same machine name, user name and passwords.

Does anybody know how do we have to re install our old license?

Thanks in advance,
Dani.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi John,
We already have contact our distributor as well as GTAC, but as we do not have a maintenance service contract for the last two years
for the moment we do not have any solution.

Our first answer from them was that we need a new license with a cost of 1.050€, what of course seems to be a bit expensive to get
our old license for the same machine just with a new SSD.

Right now we are waiting an email from them, but they do not ensure us that they can provide a user guide to re install our license.

Thanks for your answer,
Dani.

"Normally" you lock the license against a "Composite host ID".
- "Normally" since there are other options also but i guess that most companies use the Composite host id option.
Before Siemens started using the Composite Host ID, the licenses were locked against the network adapter ID, but since that can be easily changed for those who know how, Siemens started using the "Compos..." instead. This to make pirating Siemens software more difficult.
What i have heard , the compo... is a mixture of things like network adapter id and harddrive device id etc etc
- this makes a switch of a harddrive halt the NX license, you need then to :
1) generate a new composite host id ( there is a utility "getcid.exe" in the flexlm directory to do this, it will output a string of some 12 digits/ characters.
2) get a new license file from Siemens which is locked against the new Composite host id.

There is of course an administrative cost connected to generating this new license file.

Regards,
Tomas

While I'm not up on the legalities of our software licenses, particularly with respect to international clients, I would think that as long as you are not attempting to install the license software on a server/CPU with a different MAC address than what was agreed to when you took delivery of the original license, that it shouldn't be an issue, but then that's not my area of expertise.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thanks for your answers,
I think you're both correct. Our distributor ( told us that we needed a new license file due the Composite host id.
The estimated cost for this process it is 1.050€ (1.421$). As it seemed to us that this price was not justified in our situation, we contacted
directly the Siemens service. They told us that in our case it doesn't seem to be necessary to "completely renew" our license file (like John said),
but they had to look if they could send us again the old license and how could we install it.

Up to now we do not have a definitive answer from them.

Sincerely, we understand that as we do not have a maintenance service it is reasonable that if is needed to regenerate the license file
with a new host id we have to pay for that service. But estimating that service with a price of 1.050€ seems to be not really fair.

Somehow we feel that if we do not contract the maintenance service we will have to pay that amount in any case that we have a hardware fail.
We do not want to think that Siemens have this position, but we are still waiting.

Best regards,
Dani.

Solved!
Thanks to Siemens answer we got our old license file and it is perfectly running now.

I guess the one we had it was wrong (may be the first we got for trial purposes).
Probably the composite ID does not take the SSD ID in consideration.

At the end it was a bad information of our distributor and contacting directly with Siemens solved the problem.

Thanks again for your help,
Dani.

Usually any change in hardware requires a new Composite host ID if you are running a standalone license.
In our case, a "server replacement form" is all that's needed.

But you already solved the problem

Older budweiser
NX8.5 & NX9.0 64bit, hp z820

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back