Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Unbraced length of masonry wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

milkshakelake

Structural
Jul 15, 2013
US
How much brick can I have unsupported laterally during demolition? I try to stay within ~15', as this is a typical stair opening.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It depends on the situation in my mind.. the Canadian code has allowable lengths of walls unbraced based on empirical data. It changes for interior versus exterior, load bearing versus non. A bunch of other random stuff. I don't think there's a hard and fast rule.

How much brick can I have unsupported laterally during demolition?

I'm sure there are guidelines for new construction, but demolition is not construction in reverse. IMHO, the answer will be on-site, real-time engineering judgement based on field conditions (wall length, height, thickness, condition, layout, etc.). And don't hesitate to make changes in your decision criteria as experience with this structure's demolition is gained ...

I try to stay within ~15', as this is a typical stair opening.

...plus you are off the a good start by basing at least a part of your decision on existing conditions, not a "code" document that was never intended for demolition purposes.

[idea]

Thanks jayrod12 and SlideRuleEra for the responses! I think you were saying what was on my mind, so now I feel more comfortable in my judgment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back